These Asian Stuffed Peppers with Lentils make a easy, nutritious and quick meal for any day of the week. With the rainbow color of the bell peppers, the recipe is so appetizing to look at!
How I came up with this Asian Stuffed Peppers recipe
A few months ago, I had the idea for the stuffed bell peppers while incorporating some Asian flavors. I love Stuffed Peppers because it makes for a healthy, low-carb meal that is also filling. I always eat with my eyes first, so the different rainbow colors make the recipe so appealing to me!
Stuffed Bell Peppers have many variations of fillings. For this recipe, I am using green lentils and rice for the meaty texture while keeping it plant-based. As the mixture of lentils and rice is so satisfying, you won't miss meat at all!
In this recipe I incorporated Asian flavors from the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar and a drizzle of sesame oil. The toppings are green onions and sesame seeds.
Ingredients and substitutions
In this recipe, I use three colors of bell peppers: red, yellow and green. You can use any bell pepper colors of choice. For the fillings, I was trying to create a plant-based version of ground beef and tomato sauce based normally used. Therefore, I decided to use lentils and rice in combination with tomato sauce and a variety of Asian condiments.
The fillings of the stuffed bell peppers in this recipe are:
- Cooked lentils
- Cooked white rice: you can also use brown rice or quinoa
- Tomato sauce
- Onion and garlic
- Fresh vegetables like spinach, but thinly sliced mushroom and carrots will be lovely too and boost the meaty texture
- Asian flavors: I added a combination of soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar and sesame seeds here!
Cut the tops off of the bell peppers, slice them in half and remove the stems and seeds. Stuff the bell peppers with filling, then top with green onions, sesame seeds and your favorite Asian sauce.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Western classic recipe with the incorporation of Asian flavors
- Perfect for make ahead: This is the go-to recipe for meal prep, as you can double or triple the recipe, refridgerate and bake in the oven before enjoying!
- Customizable: This is a customizable recipe that you can use whatever you have in the fridge.
- Healthy: All of the ingredients in this recipe are nutritious and would work well if you need a healthy meal.
How to serve the Asian Stuffed Peppers with Lentils
You can serve the Stuffed Peppers on its own and enjoy with your favorite Asian sauces. Mine is sriracha mayo (vegan), some other suggestions are teriyaki, sriracha or sweet chili sauce!
If you have tried my recipe, please let me know what you think by leaving me a review on this page or tagging me on Instagram @veggieanh. I would love to see your creations!Print
Asian Stuffed Peppers with Lentils
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 halves 1x
An Asian-inspired Stuffed Peppers with Lentils. It makes a yummy and satisfying meal that is also low in carb and super nutritious!
- 3 bell peppers (color of choice)
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ an onion (or 1 small onion)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup cooked green lentils
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 100 g spinach
- 1 cup rice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Chopped green onions
- Sesame seeds
- vegan sriracha mayo
Bake the Bell Peppers
- Pre-heat your oven to [wprm-temperature value="200" unit="C" icon="oven-top-bottom"]
- Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise, remove the stems and seeds.
Make the Fillings
- Bake the bell pepper in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely chop your onion and garlic.
- On a pan, add oil, followed by the chopped onion and garlic. Stir fry for 1-2 minute or until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the tomato sauce, cooked lentils, rice and mix well.
- Add the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil. Mix together until well incorporated.
- Add the spinach to the pan and mix until wilted. Turn off the heat and set aside.
Stuff the Bell Peppers
- When the bell peppers are done baking, stuff them with the filling.
- Garnish with chopped green onions, sesame seeds and a drizzle of your favorite sauce. I use vegan sriracha mayo!
The recipe keeps well in the fridge for 3-4 days. To reheat, I recommend baking them instead of microwaving as the bell peppers can become soggy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Fusion
Keywords: bell peppers, easy to make, healthy, lentils, meal prep, stuffed bell peppers
I made this last night for dinner. It was incredibly delicious and easy to make. Can’t wait to try some more recipes. Get cookin’ folks. Thanks chef❣️
Veggie Anh says
Thank you so much!! Glad you loved it and hope you try more of my recipes 😀
Do you use cooked rice or raw rice?
Veggie Anh says
Hi, it's cooked rice!