If you are looking for a quick noodle dish for hot summer days, look no further! This Bibim-guksu is easy, only takes 10 minutes to make and perfect for spicy food lovers.
What is Bibim-guksu?
Bibim-guksu is a Korean spicy cold noodle dish made with somyeon noodles and a spicy sauce. Traditionally, it is served with a boiled egg on top but this is omitted in this recipe, to make it completely vegan.
The spicy sauce is balanced with the crunchy cucumber, making it super refreshing. It's especially popular in the summer because it's quick to make on days it's too hot to cook.
Ingredients & substitutions for Bibim-guksu
The recipe is super simple, with only noodles, cucumber and Bibim sauce ingredients.
The traditional recipe uses Somyeon noodles, which is a Korean thin wheat noodle. Additionally, you can use other noodles of choice and it will be just as delicious! For the toppings, feel free to use some other veggies to make them more nutritious. Some topping examples are:
- Green onions
- Thinly sliced carrot
- Thinly slice green or purple cabbage
The bibim sauce has Korean distinct flavors of sweet, sour, savory from the sauces:
- Gochujang (Korean chili paste) & Gochugaru (Korean chili flakes): creates the unique Korean spicy flavors
- Rice vinegar: adds acidity
- Soy sauce: adds a deep and savory taste
- Sesame oil
- Maple syrup or sugar: adds a hint of sweetness
- Toasted sesame seeds: for the added crunchy texture
This is how I like to make it for my easy weekday lunch or dinner. Feel free to adjust the ingredients to taste. Some people also like to add kimchi or minced garlic to their Bibim-guksu.
How to serve Bibim-guksu?
To serve the dish, you can also meal prep it in advance to enjoy throughout the week. The noodle dish will become more flavorful over time and you don't need to reheat it! Feel free to add more veggie toppings or tofu to make the dish into a filling noodle salad.
If you have tried my recipe, please let me know what you think by leaving me a review on this page or tagging me on Instagram @veggieanh. I would love to see your creations!Print
Bibim-guksu (Korean Spicy Cold Noodles)
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 people 1x
Easy 5-minute Korean spicy cold noodles dish that is perfect for the summer! It's a refreshing and balanced meal with flavors from the spicy sauce and crunchy cucumber.
- 2 servings noodles (preferably somyeon noodles)
- 1 tbsp gochujang
- 1 tbsp gochugaru
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or sugar)
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- ½ a cucumber
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Cook the noodles according to package instructions, then drain and rinse under cold water.
- Add the sauce ingredients to a bowl.
- Combine the sauce with the noodles and toss to combine.
- Chop the cucumber into thin slices. Top the noodles with cucumber slices and sesame seeds and dig in.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Korean
Keywords: 10-minute meal, easy to make, Korean recipes, noodles, noodles salad