Quick and easy Black Pepper Mushroom in 15 minutes. The savory, spicy black pepper sauce perfectly complements the meaty mushroom. It is the perfect side dish to accompany rice or porridge.
Black Pepper Mushroom
This is a vegan version of a Vietnamese homemade dish I grew up eating: Black Pepper pork chop. It features meaty king oyster mushrooms in a savory, peppery sauce. This dish can be made in 15 minutes, perfect for busy days when you need a quick yet nutritious meal.
Ingredients and substitutions
I love using King Oyster Mushroom as a meat substitute, as it has a meaty, chewy texture that doesn’t shrink when being cooked. I like to score the king oyster mushroom slices, as this enhances the texture and mouth-feel of the dish while helping it absorb the sauce more. If you cannot access these King Oyster Mushroom, feel free to use other types of mushrooms such as cremini mushroom or oyster mushroom.
The sauce of the dish is the star of this dish! It is a simple, yet delicious way to enhance the taste of the mushroom: savoury, spicy and peppery. The ingredients of the sauce are also pantry-friendly and accessible, and you probably had all the ingredients at home:
- Soy sauce
- Vegetarian oyster sauce (also known as mushroom stirfry sauce)
- Black pepper
- Garlic and chilli for aromatics
Why you’ll love this Black Pepper Mushroom recipe
This recipe is:
- Quick and easy to make
- Nutritious: mushroom is a good sauce of fiber, antioxidants, vitamin B and D.
- Perfect for serving with a warm bowl of rice or with my Vietnamese Vegan ‘Chicken’ Rice Porridge.
If you have tried my recipe, please let me know what you think by leaving me a review on this page or tagging me on Instagram @veggieanh. I would love to see your creations!
Black Pepper King Oyster Mushroom
- 150 g king oyster mushroom
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp vegetarian oyster sauce optional
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp sugar
- 5 tbsp warm water
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ chili
- green onions
- sesame seeds
- Cut the king oyster mushroom into thick slices, score each slice in a criss-cross pattern.
- Fry the mushroom slices in oil until both sides are golden brown.
- Finely mince the garlic and chii. Combine the ingredients to make the sauce, mix well to combine.
- Pour the sauce together on top the mushroom on the pan and simmer until evaporated.
- Serve over rice, and sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.