Bún Riêu Chay is a light yet comforting Vietnamese noodle soup with a tomato-infused base, creamy tofu ‘crab’ blend and served with fresh herbs. Flavorful and aromatic!
- 1 liter unsweetened soy milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 60 ml lime juice
- 3 tomatoes
- 200 g cremini mushroom
- 200 g shimeji mushroom
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tbsp anatto seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp mushroom seasoning
- 1 tsp sugar
- 200 g fried tofu
- vermicelli rice noodles
- bean sprouts
- chopped green onions
Make the ‘Crab’ noodles broth
- To a pot, add the soy milk and bring to a soft boil, then add 1 tsp salt and lime juice. After adding the lime juice, the liquid will separate into water and bean curds. Use a strainer to strain out the bean curds and put them in a bowl, this will be our vegan ‘crab’ meat.
- Add the oil to a pan, add in the anatto seeds if using, and stir fry for 2 minutes. Remove the seeds.
- Cut the tomatoes and cremini mushrooms into bite-sized pieces, stir fry them in the anatto seed oil, and add seasonings (salt, sugar, mushroom seasoning, and soy sauce). Stir fry for about 10 minutes.
- Add the stir-fried tomatoes and mushrooms to the remaining soy milk broth in the pot.
- Cut the ends off the Shimeji mushrooms and add to the broth. Add fried tofu. Cook for 10 minutes then serve.
- Season the broth with salt and soy sauce to taste.
Prepare the toppings
- Cook the rice noodles according to the package instructions. Rinse and drain under cold water.
- In a bowl, put the rice noodles underneath, followed by the vegan crab meat, toppings (mushrooms & fried tofu) and pour over the broth.
- Serve the noodle soup with fresh herbs and enjoy!
Use natural, unsweetened soy milk to yield the best result. If the soy milk doesn’t curdle, add more salt or lime juice.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: vietnamese
Keywords: noodle soup, tofu, tomato sauce, vegan, vietnamese