Bún Riêu Chay is a light yet comforting Vietnamese noodle soup with a tomato-infused base, creamy tofu 'crab' blend and served with fresh herbs. Flavorful and aromatic!
- 1 daikon
- 3 small carrots (or 1-2 medium carrot)
- 2 apples
- 3 green onions (scallion) - only the white part
- 1.5L water
- 4 heaped teaspoon of mushroom seasoning (salt - add more or less to taste)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste (alternatively use the juice from 1/2 a lime)
- 300g firm tofu
- Oil for frying
- 2 shallots
- 2 tbsp annatto seeds (optional)
- 1 shallot
- 3-4 tomatoes
- 100g mushrooms of choice (I used shimeji and king oyster mushrooms)
Vegan crab meat:
- 100g soft or firm tofu
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 servings of vermicelli rice noodles
- The green part of the scallions (green onions)
- A variety of fresh herbs: lettuce, bean sprouts, Thai basil, perilla leaves (optional, use what you have)
- Vegetarian ham (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Chilli slices (optional)
Make the stock
- Peel the carrots and daikon. Cut the daikon, carrots, and apples into equal-sized cubes. Separate the green part from the white part of the scallion.
- Add the daikon, carrot and apple cubes to a big pot with the water. Add 1 tsp salt. Pressure cook for 30 minutes or cook on the stovetop for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, pat dry and cut the tofu into cubes. Fry the tofu cubes in oil on a non-stick pan until golden on all sides. Remove from heat.
Make the annatto oil and vegetables
- In the remaining oil on the pan (add more oil if needed - make sure to have at least 3 tbsp oil remaining), add the annatto seeds. Stir fry the annatto seeds on medium heat. Turn off the heat and strain off the seeds. Alternatively, you can use pre-made annatto oil.
- Cut the tomatoes into cubes. Cut the mushrooms into slices. Mince the shallot.
- Add 2 tbsp annatto oil to a pot, add the minced shallots, then the tomatoes. Stir fry in the pot for 3 minutes. Add the stock water (straining the fruits & vegetables).
- Add the mushrooms and bring to a boil. Simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes while we prepare the remaining ingredients.
Make the vegan ‘crab’ meat
- Mash the tofu into crumbles with a fork.
- Stir fry in a pan with the remaining annatto oil, salt, and pepper. Stir fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add the vegan ‘crab’ meat into a bowl and use a spoon or spatula to press down the tofu. Set aside.
Make the rice noodles
- Cook the vermicelli rice noodles according to package instructions. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Prepare the fresh herbs: Rinse them with water, cut the lettuce and perilla leaves into thin slices.
- Cut the optional vegetarian ham into thin slices.
Assemble the Vegan Bun Rieu
- In a bowl, add the cooked vermicelli rice noodles, followed by the toppings: fried tofu, vegan crab meat, scallion, (optional) herbs, (optional) vegetarian ham. Pour over the broth with the mushrooms and tomatoes.
- Repeat this step with the other bowls and enjoy with some lime wedges and chilli slices.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: vietnamese
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 329 kcal
- Sugar: 13.1g
- Sodium: 1298mg
- Fat: 14.5g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1g
- Carbohydrates: 42.7g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Protein: 10.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: noodle soup, tofu, tomato sauce, vegan, vietnamese