Gado Gado salad is an Indonesian salad with crispy tempeh and flavorful peanut sauce. It has a perfect balance of freshness and comfort.
The last one of the Summer Salad series - this recipe is an Indonesian-inspired version of Gado Gado salad. "Gado Gado" in Indonesian is literally translated into "mix mix", as it is super versatile and can be made from any combination of veggies. The dish ties together with a signature peanut sauce, which makes any veggies taste good. The stir-fried veggies give a warm and comforting feeling to the dish, making it perfect for enjoying any time of the year.
For this recipe, I use:
- Base protein: Tempeh is made from fermented soybeans and originated in Indonesia. Tempeh has a nutty taste, high fiber and protein content. If you are not a fan of tempeh, you can also substitute it with firm tofu.
- Veggies: for the recipe, I used stir-fried green beans, bell pepper, cucumber, and coriander, but you can use any blanched or stir-fried vegetables or even raw ones.
Gado Gado Tempeh Salad
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
An Indonesian inspired salad with crispy tempeh and flavorful peanut-based sauce. The salad has a perfect balance of freshness from the veggies and warmth and comfort from the stir-fried tempeh and green beans.
- 200 g tempeh
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 100 g green beans
- 1 bell pepper
- ½ cucumber
- 50 g bean sprouts
- 15 g coriander
Gado Gado Sauce ingredients
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 30 ml water
- Juice from ½ a lime
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp chopped peanuts
- Cut the tempeh into small triangle slices.
- Fry the tempeh in oil until golden brown on both sides. Remove from heat and add the green beans to the pan, stir fry with a sprinkle of salt until cooked.
- Combine the ingredients to make the Gado Gado sauce.
- Chop the bell pepper, cucumber into bite-sized pieces. Thinly slice the coriander.
- Assemble the salad with the cooked tempeh, green beans, bell pepper, cucumber slices, bean sprouts and coriander. Drizzle on the sauce and some (optional) chopped peanuts for garnish.
Other variations of the veggies could be radish, blanched spinach, mushroom or any veggies you have on hand.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Asian, Indonesian
Keywords: 20-minute meal, healthy, peanut sauce, salad, salad series, tempeh
If you enjoy this recipe, also check out another tempeh recipe:
Or check out other recipes in my Summer Salad series!
Melina Böge says
Perfect light dinner for a hot summer day. It was really easy and fast to make. Very delicious! If you don’t have tempeh, I think tofu is also great.
Veggie Anh says
Thank you for your comment and suggestion, Melina!
I found this recipe yesterday and I already made it two times. It has everything it needs, the freshness of the cucumbers and peppers combines with the tastiness of the beans and the amazing dressing makes it so delicious! Will make again frequently. Not having the coriander gene I replaced it with parsley and it worked perfectly
Veggie Anh says
Thank you so much Gabriela, I'm very glad you enjoyed it !