One of my favorite Thai desserts that I used to get at a street vendor in Vietnam. It's a heavenly combination of flavorful aromas of the pandan, the creaminess of the coconut milk and sweetness of the ice cream!
- 200 g glutinous rice
- 50 g pandan leaves (6-7 leaves fresh or frozen)
- 20 ml water
- 250 ml coconut milk (preferably full-fat)
- 200 g coconut ice cream (can be substituted with vanilla or other neutral flavour ice cream)
- coconut flakes
- roasted peanuts
To make the pandan liquid
- Cut the pandan leaves into thin slides and blend with water.
- Strain the mixture and only keep the liquid.
To make the sticky rice
- Wash the glutinous rice and soak it over night with the pandan liquid or for at least 4 hours. This will help the rice turn brightly green and absorb the pandan flavour.
- After soaking the rice, drain the liquid.
- If you cook the rice in the rice cooker, add in the coconut milk and a pint of salt. The rice should be ready in 20-30 minutes.
- If you cook the rice in the steamer, cook the rice with water at the bottom. In the last 5 minutes, mix the rice with the coconut milk.
- Roast some coconut flakes on a pan on medium heat until brown.
- Add some sticky rice to a bowl, add one or two spoonfuls of ice cream and top the dish with the roasted coconut flakes and crushed peanuts. Enjoy!
You can store the leftover sticky rice in the fridge for up to 4 days, and the recipe also freezes well.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert, Snack
- Cuisine: thailand, vietnamese
Keywords: 5-ingredient recipe, vegan