Korean Cucumber Salad (Oi Muchim)
Introducing a Salad that is too cool for the summer: Korean Cucumber Salad. This is a part of my Summer Salad series.
Korean Cucumber Salad is a refreshing and quick salad to make that can be made in only 15 minutes (or less if you chop fast). Thinly slice the cucumber to your liking then mix the cucumber slices in a Korean spicy sauce. As a result, it makes a crunchy and refreshing salad that is perfect for the summer.
What makes this Korean Cucumber Salad recipe unique?
The addition of chickpeas adds more texture to this dish. Additionally, as a plant protein source, chickpeas make the dish more filling and nutritious.
The cucumber here is salted and let sit for 15 minutes, then rinsed and drained to draw out the excess moisture. Afterwards, it's tossed in a savory, sweet and spicy Korean sauce that makes anything taste good.
You can eat this Korean Cucumber Salad as a quick snack or eat it as a side dish. Korean people like to add this to their dosirak (Korean lunchbox) or eat it as a banchan (side dish) to accompany other savory dishes. This recipe makes a healthy, nutritious, low-carb salad option yet is still filling and satisfying!
This recipe is super simple as it only requires the cucumber, green onions, and chickpeas as base ingredients. The sauce & condiments used here will bring out the unique Korean flavors:
- Soy sauce: for the savory flavors
- Maple syrup: brings out the sweetness of the dish
- Gochugaru: for some heat and spiciness, feel free to use more or less depending on your spice tolerance. You can also substitute this with other red pepper flakes.
- Sesame seeds: for the added crunch and texture
- Garlic: the aromatics
- Sesame oil: elevates the flavor of the cucumber salad
If you have tried my recipe, please let me know what you think by leaving me a review on this page or tagging me on Instagram @veggieanh. I would love to see your creations!Print
Korean Chickpea Cucumber Salad (Oi Muchim)
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
This Korean cucumber salad 🥗 🥒 is refreshing, crunchy, healthy and easy to make! With a sweet, savory and spicy sauce and the added chickpeas, it makes a great snack or side dish 😋
- 1 cucumber
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp gochugaru (can sub with other red pepper flakes)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 green onion
- 200 g canned chickpeas
- Slice the cucumber thinly. Salt the cucumber and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, drain the liquid from the cucumber slices and rinse the cucumber under cold water.
- Add all the sauces to a bowl and mix with the cucumber slices, chopped green onion and chickpeas. Mix together and enjoy right away or marinade for longer.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side Dish, Snack
- Cuisine: Korean
Keywords: 15-minute meal, banchan, cucumber salad, Korean recipes, salad, side dish, weeknight friendly