Combining my two favourite breakfast menu items in one recipe: fluffy pancake and matcha latte. The recipe is made vegan, using plant-based milk and butter and one secret ingredient: aquafaba (whipped chickpea water) to create that fluffy, airy texture.
The matcha I used is from MatchaTheGreenGold, using this link you'll get 10% off your purchases!
Health benefits of matcha
Matcha is a green tea powder that originated from Japan that has skyrocketed in popularity. Matcha has a unique nutritional profile that presents so many health benefits:
- High in antioxidants and caffein
- High in vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc and magnesium and vitamins
- Boosts metabolism and helps you maintain consistent energy throughout the entire day
For this recipe, I recommend using premium or ceremonial grade matcha for the optimal taste and health benefits. Lower quality matcha has a bitter taste, whereas premium and ceremonial grade ones have a rich, earthy flavour that can be incorporated into your breakfast oatmeal or latte. A small amount goes a long way, 1 teaspoon per serving should be enough.Print
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
Combining a basic pancake recipe with matcha powder to create a vibrant green colour and claim your consistent energy for the day!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (~125g)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar (can be substituted with mashing a ripe banana)
- 2 tsp matcha powder
- 100 ml aquafaba (whipped chickpea water)
- 100 ml plant milk
- oil or plant butter
- fresh or frozen fruits of choice
- 2 tbsp coconut yogurt (or other plant yoghurt of choice)
- Combine all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and matcha powder). Sift the matcha powder to avoid clumps. Mix well.
- Whip the chickpea water with a hand blender or a stand blender for 1 minute or until foam increases.
- Add the whipped chickpea water and plant milk to the dry mixture. Mix well until all ingredients are incorporated. Add more milk if needed to reach the desired consistency.
- In a pan on medium heat, add oil or plant butter.
- Add about 3 tablespoon of the batter to the pan, scroll the pan around so that the batter is distributed evenly.
- When bubbles appear on the surface of the pancakes, flip the pancake and repeat the steps to finish the batter.
- Stack the pancakes on top of each other or lay them flat on a plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon of yogurt and fruit toppings for each serving. Enjoy!
I used stewed frozen strawberries as a topping. To make this: add frozen strawberries to a pot on medium heat, mix for about 5 minutes until the berries soften and are cooked through, add a bit of water if needed.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American, Fusion, Japanese
Keywords: breakfast series, matcha, vegan
Thanh Nguyen says