These Vegan Miso Chocolate Chip Cookies offer a delightful twist on the classic chocolate chip cookie recipe. They combine the richness of dark chocolate with a subtle umami flavor from the addition of white miso paste. These indulgent cookies are perfect if you crave something sweet with a hint of saltiness.
During the holidays or busy weeks, I tend to crave something sweet with a hint of uniqueness. These Miso Chocolate Chip Cookies definitely hit the spot - sweet, savory, and umami from the miso and chocolate chips.
To make the cookies, you'll need:
- Mashed banana: The mashed banana acts as a natural sweetener and binder in this recipe, adding moisture and a subtle fruity flavor to the cookies.
- Vegan butter: Vegan butter provides the necessary fat content to create a rich and tender texture in the cookies, while also ensuring they remain dairy-free.
- Brown sugar: Brown sugar adds sweetness and moisture to the cookies, contributing to their soft and chewy texture. It also lends a hint of caramel-like flavor.
- Soy milk: Soy milk serves as a dairy-free liquid in this recipe, helping to moisten the dough and bind the ingredients together.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla extract enhances the overall flavor of the cookies, adding a warm and aromatic note that complements the chocolate and miso.
- White or red miso paste: Miso paste may sound unconventional in a cookie recipe, but it adds a unique umami flavor that complements the sweetness of the cookies and adds depth to the overall taste.
- Baking powder: Baking powder acts as a leavening agent, helping the cookies rise and develop a light and tender texture.
- Baking soda: Baking soda assists in the leavening process, contributing to the cookies' rise and creating a slightly crisp exterior.
- All-purpose flour: provides structure and stability to the cookies, ensuring they hold their shape while baking.
- Dark chocolate chips: add bursts of rich and bittersweet chocolate flavor to each bite. They also create pockets of gooey chocolate throughout.
To make these delectable cookies, you'll start by mashing a ripe banana and creaming it together with vegan butter and brown sugar. This creates a sweet and creamy base for the dough. Next, you'll add soy milk and vanilla extract, which contribute to the moisture and flavor of the cookies.
In a separate bowl, you'll whisk together the dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and white miso paste. The miso paste adds a subtle savory note that balances the sweetness of the cookies. Gradually incorporating the dry ingredients into the wet mixture will result in a soft and cohesive cookie dough.
To take these cookies to the next level, you'll fold in chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips. The combination of the slightly salty miso with the rich chocolate creates a heavenly flavor profile that's hard to resist.
Once the dough is ready, you'll portion it onto a baking sheet and pop it into a preheated oven. As the cookies bake, the edges will turn golden brown while the centers remain soft and chewy. The aroma of freshly baked cookies will fill your kitchen, creating an irresistible anticipation.
After a short cooling period, you can savor the fruits of your labor. Sink your teeth into a vegan Miso Chocolate Chip Cookie and experience the delightful blend of sweet, savory, and chocolatey flavors. These cookies are perfect for indulging in a comforting treat or sharing with loved ones.
Whether you're a vegan or simply looking for a unique twist on a classic cookie recipe, these vegan Miso Chocolate Chip Cookies are a delightful choice. They offer a harmonious marriage of sweet and savory flavors, providing a memorable and delicious cookie experience.
If you have tried my recipe, please let me know what you think by leaving me a review on this page or tagging me on Instagram @veggieanh. I would love to see your creations!Print