An easy and healthy way to cook eggplants, with a flavor-packed umami miso sauce. This recipe is weeknight-friendly, requiring only 5 minutes of active cooking time.
- 1 eggplant
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar or mirin
- sesame seeds
- chopped green onions
- pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Wash and chop your eggplant in half. Score each side in a criss-cross pattern.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes at 200°C (392°F).
- In a bowl, mix together miso paste, sugar and vinegar to make the sauce.
- In the last 5 minutes, take the eggplant out and brush the sauce on top. Put it back in the oven for the remaining time.
- Garnish the eggplant with sesame seeds, chopped green onions and pomegrate seeds.
- Serve the eggplant over rice and edamame or other plant protein of choice.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main Course, Side Dish
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: aubergine, easy to make, eggplant, gluten free, miso, oil-free, vegan, vegetable