I absolutely love avocado toasts. With a variety of topping options out there, avocado toasts are so versatile and customisable. My favourite avocado toast topping is king oyster mushroom because of its beautiful look and unique taste. But you can also use another type of mushroom: cremini or portabello works great here, or even shiitake mushroom!Print
Mushroom Avocado Toast
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
Easy & speedy breakfast idea using only four main ingredients. Crusty toast, creamy avocado, natural sweetness from the mushroom and sourness from pickled onions create a unique flavor profile and a guilt-free pleasure breakfast!
- 2 slices of bread (I used sour dough)
- 1 avocado
- 100 g king oyster mushroom (can sub with other types of mushroom)
- salt and pepper to taste
- chili powder or chili flakes
- A few slices of pickled red onions (homemade (see recipe notes) or store bought)
- Slice the king oyster mushroom thinly and score in a criss cross pattern.
- Heat up the stove. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and fry the mushroom until golden brown on both sides. Remove from heat.
- Add the bread to the pan to toast until brown and crispy to your liking. Remove from heat and put the toasts on a plate.
- Cut the avocado in half, then peel the skin and thinly slice the avocado.
- Put the avocado slices on the toasts, followed by the fried king oyster mushroom and pickled red onions.
To make your own pickled red onions: Slice the red onions and add them to a jar. Add in one part hot water and one part vinegar (make sure the red onions are fully covered). Add in 1 tablespoon sugar and 2 teaspoon salt. Shake so that the sugar dissolves and let marinate for 1 hour (preferably overnight). These pickled onions can last for a few months.
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Fusion
Keywords: 15-minute meal, vegan, vegetable
Leave a Reply