I absolutely love avocado toasts. With a variety of topping options out there, avocado toasts are so versatile and customisable. My favourite avocado toast topping is king oyster mushroom because of its beautiful look and unique taste. But you can also use another type of mushroom: cremini or portabello works great here, or even shiitake mushroom!
Mushroom Avocado Toast
- 2 slices of bread I used sour dough
- 1 avocado
- 100 g king oyster mushroom can sub with other types of mushroom
- salt and pepper to taste
- chili powder or chili flakes
- A few slices of pickled red onions homemade (see recipe notes) or store bought
- Slice the king oyster mushroom thinly and score in a criss cross pattern.
- Heat up the stove. Add 1 tbsp of oil and fry the mushroom until golden brown on both sides. Remove from heat.
- Add the bread to the pan to toast until brown and crispy to your liking. Remove from heat and put the toasts on a plate.
- Cut the avocado in half, then peel the skin and thinly slice the avocado.
- Put the avocado slices on the toasts, followed by the fried king oyster mushroom and pickled red onions.