What is Onigirazu?
Onigirazu is basically Japanese-styled sandwich. Instead of buns, it uses seaweed to wrap around the rice and some toppings. It's a compact yet super filling meal option. Moreover, it's portable, perfect to travel or take with you to picnics or social gatherings.
The version uses the viral Tortilla hack with an Asian twist. This hack makes the wrapping process easier and fun to look at.
What is the difference between Onigirazu, Onigiri and Sushi?
I like to say that Onigirazu is a less messy and easier version of sushi. Instead of rolling up neatly and cutting into thin sushi slices, with Onigirazu you only need to wrap the seaweed around the rice and toppings then cut in the middle. On the other hand, Onigiri also uses seaweed to wrap around the fillings, but it typically has a triangle or round shape.
Key Ingredients and Substitutes
The key ingredients of Onigirazu are rice and Nori seaweed. The other fillings and toppings are super versatile and you can use whatever ingredients you have on hand. For this recipe, I used:
- Teriyaki Tofu: this comes as no surprise, I really do love tofu! You can substitute this with other plant-based protein sources like mock meat products, edamame or mashed chickpeas (as vegan 'tuna').
- Carrot and cucumber: these are the veggies I always have, so I love to use them. You can substitute them with shredded cabbage, radish, or pickled red onions.
- Avocado: avocado is a must in my opinion. It makes the sushi sandwich more creamy and filling.
- Vegan sriracha mayo: I love this sauce, it makes the sandwich so saucy and delicious.
- Sesame seeds
When do you eat Onigirazu?
The recipe is perfect for any time of the day, but especially for breakfast or lunch. It's normally a part of a Japanese bento lunch box.Print
Onigirazu (Sushi Sandwich) using the Tortilla Hack
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 Onigirazu 1x
Onigirazu is a type of Japanese sandwich using seaweed and rice. This plant-based version uses the Tortilla hack to wrap the ingredients. It's a super easy and satisfying meal!
- 400 g firm or medium-firm tofu
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 2 servings sushi or short-grain rice
- 1 medium avocado
- 4 sheets nori seaweed
- 1 small carrot
- ½ cucumber
- vegan sriracha mayo (optional)
- sesame seeds (optional)
Make the Teriyaki Tofu
- Pat dry and cut the tofu into rectangle pieces. Marinade the tofu pieces with the marinade for at least 10 minutes.
- Cook the rice according to package instructions.
- Cut the avocado, carrot, and cucumber into thin slices.
Assemble the Onigirazu using the Tortilla Hack
- Lay a sheet of nori seaweed on your working station (rough side up). Use a scissor to cut a vertical split halfway towards the seaweed sheet.
- Divide each ingredient in
- In the bottom right corner, add the cooked rice, followed up by the teriyaki tofu in the top right corner.
- Add the avocado in the top left corner and finally add the thinly sliced carrot and cucumber in the remaining corner.
- Add some vegan sriracha mayo and sprinkle some sesame seeds on the toppings.
- Fold the Onigirazu from the bottom right corner towards the top right corner, then keep folding until it forms a parcel.
- You can eat the Onigirazu as it is or wrap it tightly with a plastic wrap and cut in half with a sharp knife.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Main Course, Side Dish
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: 30-minute meal, onigirazu, sushi, tiktok viral recipe
If you like this recipe, also check out:
- Vegan Onigiri 3 ways (Japanese Rice Balls)
- Tofu 'Salmon' Rice Bowl
- Vegan Miso Ramen
- Other Japanese Recipes
Leave a Reply