Onigirazu is a type of Japanese sandwich using seaweed and rice. This plant-based version uses the Tortilla hack to wrap the ingredients. It's a super easy and satisfying meal!
- 400 g firm or medium-firm tofu
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 2 servings sushi or short-grain rice
- 1 medium avocado
- 4 sheets nori seaweed
- 1 small carrot
- 1/2 cucumber
- vegan sriracha mayo (optional)
- sesame seeds (optional)
Make the Teriyaki Tofu
- Pat dry and cut the tofu into rectangle pieces. Marinade the tofu pieces with the marinade for at least 10 minutes.
- Cook the rice according to package instructions.
- Cut the avocado, carrot, and cucumber into thin slices.
Assemble the Onigirazu using the Tortilla Hack
- Lay a sheet of nori seaweed on your working station (rough side up). Use a scissor to cut a vertical split halfway towards the seaweed sheet.
- Divide each ingredient in
- In the bottom right corner, add the cooked rice, followed up by the teriyaki tofu in the top right corner.
- Add the avocado in the top left corner and finally add the thinly sliced carrot and cucumber in the remaining corner.
- Add some vegan sriracha mayo and sprinkle some sesame seeds on the toppings.
- Fold the Onigirazu from the bottom right corner towards the top right corner, then keep folding until it forms a parcel.
- You can eat the Onigirazu as it is or wrap it tightly with a plastic wrap and cut in half with a sharp knife.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Main Course, Side Dish
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: 30-minute meal, onigirazu, sushi, tiktok viral recipe