Why Rice Paper Pizza?
When you’re reading this recipe, you’ll probably think to yourself: What? Rice paper as a pizza? Does that even work? But trust me, it works really well! The rice paper is softened with the vegan egg, making it crunchy on the outside yet soft and filling with the toppings. It makes a perfect light lunch or snack option and is easy to travel with!
Rice Paper Pizza (or Bánh Tráng Nướng) is popular Vietnamese street food from Da Lat, Vietnam. You can find it on the street vendors in various Vietnamese cities. It uses rice paper as the pizza base, then cracks an egg on top and tops with various ingredients like sausage, corn, sriracha and mayonnaise. The Vietnamese name is literally translated to “Fried Rice Paper”, but other name variations of this dish are Vietnamese Pizza or Vietnamese Quesadilla.
Veganized Version of Rice Paper Pizza
To replace the traditional egg, I used a homemade vegan mung bean egg mixture adopted from the recipe by Wholly Plants. The mung bean egg is easy to make and only requires these two basic steps:
- Soak the mung beans overnight
- Blend the soaked mung beans in a blender with plant milk, turmeric powder, garlic and onion powder, nutritional yeast, black pepper, and black salt.
Other toppings I use here are:
- Fried oyster mushroom
- Fried tofu
- Green onions
What’s so special about this recipe?
This recipe only takes 10 minutes to make (excluding the mung bean soaking time), making it an easy and quick-to-make recipe. It is perfect for many occasions, such as:
- Picnic: you can fold the rice paper in half, and take it to enjoy at picnics. So flavorful and delicious!
- Social gatherings: if you are enjoying the recipe with other people, cut the rice paper into small slices like you would with a pizza. Each person can grab one piece to enjoy. You can make different ones with different toppings, like at a pizza party.
It’s also customizable and versatile. You can grill the rice paper over the pan on the stovetop, then add any pizza toppings that you like. I’d like to add any topping that I have in the fridge. Some recommended toppings are:
- Chili oil
- Fried mushroom
- Fried tofu
- Green onions or coriander
- Mock meat like vegan pate, vegan sausage
- Sriracha and vegan mayonnaise to drizzle on top