The Netflix series Squid Game has been popular and inspired many food trends and funny memes (Dalgona candy). I decided to jump on the trend as well, by recreating a Korean-styled lunchbox and making it vegan of course. This combination was super yummy and easy to make, packed with flavors and nutrients.Print
Squid Game inspired lunchbox
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
Dosirak is a Korean-styled lunch box consisting of rice and banchan (side dishes). There are many toppings you can add, for this version I added sweet black beans, gochujang tofu, kimchi and seaweed.
- 1 can black beans
- 200 g tofu
- 1 nori sheet
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp plant syrup
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tbsp gochujang (Korean chili pepper paste)
- 1 cup kimchi
- Sesame seeds
- Green onions
To make the sweet black beans
- Drain and rinse 1 can of black beans. On a pan on medium high heat, add in the beans and a splash of water.
- Add in 1 tablespoon corn syrup (or other plant syrup), 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Mix to combine and simmer on low heat until the sauce is thickened.
- Add more corn syrup if you want it sweeter. Then transfer to a plate, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
To make the Korean gochujang tofu
- Pat dry the tofu and cut into bite sized pieces. Shallow pan fry the tofu with 1 tablespoon oil until all sides are golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Combine the sauce in a separate bowl: 1 tablespoon soy sauce, ½ tablespoon gochujang, 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon plant syrup. Pour the sauce into the pan (on low heat).
- Add the tofu back into the pan. Mix to coat the tofu with the sauce.
- Transfer the tofu on a plate, sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.
To make the Korean dosirak (lunch box):
- In a lunchbox, add the rice, tofu and black beans.
- Cut a triangle shape inside the seaweed, then make a smaller triangle with the cut. Place it on the rice, then add the kimchi around the seaweed face.
- Mix the box or eat as it is. Enjoy!
Other toppings you can add: stir-fried bean sprouts, mushrooms, zucchini and many more. The possibilities are endless!
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Korean
Keywords: 20-minute meal, easy to make, lunch idea, squid game, tofu, vegan
Leave a Reply