Quick and easy side dish using Steamed Silken Tofu, served with a rich umami mushroom sauce. Perfect for both cold and warmer days, and ready in only 20 minutes!
The inspiration behind this Steamed Silken Tofu with Mushroom recipe
This recipe is inspired by Steamed Silken Tofu with Minced Meat I grew up eating. It's served with steamed silken tofu and a spicy, savory mushroom sauce. The recipe uses minced shiitake mushroom in place of minced meat, which makes it just as meaty and satisfying!
Why this recipe works
The soft, melt-in-your-mouth texture of the silken tofu perfectly complements the savory & spicy sauce. The dish is brought together with refreshing toppings like coriander, chopped green onions and sesame seeds.
With the combination of all these flavors, it's fresh, vibrant yet also cozy and comforting!
Most importantly, it's easy to make and can be done in only 20 minutes.
Ingredients and substitutions
The recipe uses 4 main ingredients:
- Silken tofu: the soft, silky texture of this tofu works perfectly for this dish as it melts in your mouth and its light taste absorbs the sauce well!
- Mushroom: I used a combination of dried and fresh shiitake mushrooms for their meaty texture and umami taste. Alternatively, you can go for other mushrooms like cremini or oyster mushrooms.
- Garlic & ginger: brings the aromas to the dish while making it extra cosy. Alternatively, you can use garlic powder and ginger powder.
The recipe comes together with the sauce using:
- Soy sauce: adds the savory taste to the sauce.
- Dark soy sauce: is used for color. If you don't have it, you can use extra soy sauce
- Vegan oyster sauce (also known as mushroom seasoning): adds the rich and savory flavors.
- Sesame oil: adds the nutty taste.
- Sriracha: adds some heat to the dish.
- Rice vinegar: adds the tang to the dish. You can substitute this for other types of vinegar, lime or lemon juice!
- Water: you can use more or less than the recommended amount, depending on how thin you want the sauce to be!
Lastly, like many Vietnamese dishes, the recipe uses fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped green onions and sesame seeds for garnish!
How to serve this recipe
You can serve this recipe with a bowl of warm rice!
If you have tried my recipe, please let me know what you think by leaving me a review on this page or tagging me on Instagram @veggieanh. I would love to see your creations!Print