Stuffed Tofu Gifts / Tofu Pockets
An affordable, fun way to style your tofu!
- 400 g tofu
- 1 medium carrot
- 3 shiitake mushroom fresh or dry are both okay
- 5 stalks green onions or chives
- 2 tbsp oil for frying
- salt and pepper to taste
- 150 ml water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vegan oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Dry the tofu with a paper towel / kitchen cloth. Cut the tofu into 4 pieces according to your liking. (I cut it into half vert
- Fry the tofu in hot oil until all sides are golden. Set aside and let them cool.
- Cut the mushroom and half of the carrot into small pieces. Put the pieces in a bowl.
- Slit the inside (white part) of the fried tofu pieces and put in the same bowl with the mushroom and carrot bowl.
- Mash the tofu and mix with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff the tofu pockets with the mixture.
- Cut the white part of the spring onion. Blanch the spring onions / chives with hot water for about 20 seconds. Wrap them around the tofu pockets and make a knot.
- Combine the ingredients to make the sauce. Steam the tofu pockets in the sauce for 10 minutes.
- Garnish and serve with a bowl of hot rice. Enjoy!
Chives would be easier to wrap the tofu so get them if you can access them.