A combination of my 2 favorite desserts: cinnamon rolls and bubble tea. This is a twist on the classic Swedish cinnamon rolls, adding the tea flavor to the cinnamon filling and topping with brown sugar boba.
Make the dough
- 175 ml plant milk (I used soy )
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter (or sub with coconut oil)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 7 g dry yeast (or 25g fresh yeast)
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
Make the filling
- 2 tbsp instant tea powder
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 55 g vegan butter
- 50 g dark brown sugar
- 125 g tapioca pearls
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- caster sugar (optional)
Make the cinnamon rolls dough
- Warm the milk to a warm temperature (not too hot). Melt the (vegan) butter in the microwave or on a pot.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the warm milk, melted butter, sugar, yeast and mix well. Let the mixture rest for 5-10 minutes until the foam appears on top, that's when you know the yeast is activated.
- Add the flour, salt to the bowl and mix together. Knead the dough with your hand until it becomes a smooth ball, add more flour if needed.
- Add the ball back in your bowl, cover with a cloth and let rise in a warm place for 25 minutes. I put it in my oven with the lights on.
- While waiting, you can make the filling.
Make the filling
- In a mixing bowl, combine the tea powder, butter, brown sugar and mix well to combine to a thick paste.
Make the cinnamon rolls
- After 25 minutes, the dough should rise to double its previous size.
- Place dough into a floured surface and dust with more flour. Use the rolling pin to roll the dough into a 1/2 cm thick rectangle.
- Spread the filling evenly on the dough, leaving some space in the top and bottom edges (of the longer side of the rectangle).
- With the longer side of the rectangle closest to you, carefully roll the dough into a long roll.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the roll into 12 small rolls. I did this by cutting the roll in half, then in half again, then cutting these in thirds.
- Put the 12 rolls in a greased baking tray, cover and let it rest in a warm place for 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F).
- After 25 minutes, the rolls should rise a bit more. Put the baking tray in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until the top becomes golden brown.
- When the rolls are baking, make the brown sugar icing by boiling your tapioca pearls in a pot according to package instructions. Drain the water, reserve about 3 tbsp water and add the brown sugar to the pot (with the heat off). Mix well until the water dissolves and the mixture thickens.
- When the rolls are baked, remove them from the oven and add the brown sugar boba mixture on top, together with the caster sugar.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Fusion
Keywords: classic dessert, fall recipes, fusion dishes, vegan, winter recipes