Inspired by Southern Vietnamese flavors, this Sweet and Sour Tofu dish features crispy-on-the-outside, soft-on-the-inside tofu in a flavorful & full of umami sauce and crunchy veggies.
Sweet and Sour Tofu
This recipe is inspired by Sweet and Sour pork that I grew up eating, veganized using tofu. I have previously made this recipe using tempeh, check out Sweet and Sour Tempeh.
In Southern Vietnam, sweet & sour dishes are popular and reflect the tropical, summery taste of the country. I love to use fried firm tofu for this recipe because it has a tender texture that goes well with the sauce and a crispy exterior for some crunch. You can also use medium or soft tofu for an even more tender texture that just melts in your mouth. But if you use soft tofu, be careful as the texture may break apart!
Ingredients & substitutions
To make vegan Sweet & Sour Tofu, you'll need:
First, press the tofu to remove the excess water, if you're lazy like me, then you can pat dry the tofu with a paper towel. After that, coat with salt and cornstarch then shallow fry in oil until both sides turn golden and crispy. Set aside.
The sauce elevates the tempeh and makes it a flavorful dish, using only 6 ingredients:
- Rice vinegar: add tanginess to the recipe, you can also use apple cider vinegar.
- Tomato paste: adds a depth of tomato flavors. If you don't have this, you can use ketchup instead.
- Sugar: adds a hint of sweetness, swap with maple or agave syrup.
- Soy sauce: add the depth savory flavors, you can use tamari for a gluten-free option
- Garlic powder, ginger powder: can substitute with fresh minced garlic and ginger
- Corn starch: to thicken the sauce
First, slice your tofu into cubes.
Slice your veggies: bell peppers and pineapple into bite-sized pieces.
Coat your tofu with cornstarch, then fry until golden brown.
Remove the tofu to a plate. In the remaining oil, add in the onion and stir fry until transparent (1-2 minutes). Add the diced bell peppers and pineapples to the pan and mix well. Stir fry for another 3-5 minutes until softened.
Combine the sauce ingredients to make the Sweet and Sour sauce.
Pour the sauce into the pan and simmer until thickened. Then add the fried tofu cubes and mix well. Lastly, add the chopped scallions and stir for another minute.
Serve with a bowl of warm rice or noodles.
Why you'll love this Sweet and Sour Tofu recipe
This recipe is:
- Perfect for weeknight dinners or lunches, because it's easy and quick to whip up together!
- Full of flavors from the umami sauce and a combination of sweet, tangy flavors
- It's the best way to sneak some veggies into your meals as the sauce goes well with anything
- Versatile: pair this with a bowl of rice or noodles.
If you have tried my recipe, please let me know what you think by leaving me a review on this page or tagging me on Instagram @veggieanh. I would love to see your creations!Print