Thai Mango Coconut Curry is the perfect recipe for the seasonal transition - a curry that exhibits warm, comforting vibes yet with a hint of tropical summery flavors!
The inspiration behind this Thai Mango Coconut Curry?
If you have read some of my other recipes, you'd know that Mango is one of my favorite fruits and I love the mango and coconut milk combo! This recipe is inspired by red Thai curry flavors and that sweet flavors of mango.
This recipe comes about as a symbolic seasonal transition from the warmer months to cooler months (or vice versa). It is so cozy and comforting, yet has the summery flavors from the mango and coconut. The sauce is luscious, nutritious and feels like a comforting hug in a bowl. The veggies, tofu and cashews add the crunch and nutritional profile that soak up well the curry paste.
This is one of my favorite types of curry to make so far - cozy, nutritious, vibrant and flavorful.
Ingredients and substitutions
This recipe works well because of the combination of the flavors in the curry sauce:
- Onion, garlic & ginger: flavorful aromatics
- Thai red curry paste: I like the taste of the red curry paste as it fits well with the blended mango. Alternatively, you can also use yellow or green curry paste
- Blended mango: I like to use a very ripe mango for this as it is sweeter and easier to peel and blend. Alternatively, frozen mangoes would work well in this recipe.
- Full-fat coconut milk: helps neutralize the flavors and reduces the spiciness
- Soy sauce: adds a depth of flavor. Use tamari for a gluten-free option.
- Lime juice: the lime juice will adds freshness and tanginess that balances out the spicy, savory flavors of the curry. Use freshly squeezed lime juice for the best result.
- Cashews: adds crunchiness to this recipe. Feel free to omit this or substitute with chopped peanuts or sesame seeds.
Additionally, the curry incorporates the taste and texture of:
- Tofu: tofu acts as the plant protein source and has a soft texture that absorbs the flavors well. Use firm or extra-firm tofu and I like to fry the tofu pieces before putting them in the broth. Alternatively, you can put the tofu directly in the curry without frying.
- Veggies: I use broccoli and bell pepper for this recipe, but you can also use other veggies like carrot, sweet potato, zucchini, or mushroom.
Why you'll love this recipe
This recipe works well and will for sure impress you because:
- Quick and easy to make: all the flavors come together in 30 minutes, making it the perfect recipe for weekday lunches or dinners
- Perfect for any seasons: as it is a blend of both summery flavors and cozy vibes, the recipe is a perfect fit for both warmer and cooler days.
- Flavorful: the recipe is comforting, nutritious, and indulgent with a lot of flavors from sweet mango pieces, creamy coconut milk, vibrant veggies and aromatic curry paste.
- Features easily accessible ingredients: this recipe uses easily accessible and affordable ingredients, while rivalling with restaurants in terms of taste and look.
- Customizable: feel free to swap the suggested ingredients here with what you have on hand.
- Perfect for meal prep: the recipe keeps well in the fridge (4 days) or freezer (1 month). So you can make it ahead of time and reheat before enjoying it! As with other types of curry, the flavors of the recipe only get better over time.
How to serve this Thai Mango Coconut Curry?
You can serve this recipe with a bowl of warm rice or noodles! I like to use jasmine rice but other types of short or long-grain rice would work as well.
If you have tried my recipe, please let me know what you think by leaving me a review on this page or tagging me on Instagram @veggieanh. I would love to see your creations!Print
Thai Mango Coconut Curry
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
Thai Mango Coconut Curry is the perfect combination of warm, comforting vibes yet and tropical summery flavors from the mango!
Make the Curry
- 1 onion (or 2 small onions)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 thumb-sized ginger
- 1 block firm or extra-firm tofu
- 2-3 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup water (~250 ml)
- 1 mango
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 lime
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 head broccoli
- Finely mince the onion, garlic, and ginger.
- Peel and chop the mango into small pieces. Blend in a blender or food processor until fine.
- Chop the bell pepper and broccoli into equal-sized pieces.
- On a pan, heat up the oil, then when it's hot, add in the onion, garlic and ginger pieces.
- Add in the Thai red curry paste and mix with the aromatics, add in the water to deglaze the pan.
- Add in the water, coconut milk and blended mango. Mix well and bring to a boil
- Add in the bell pepper and broccoli, close the lid and let simmer for 10 minutes or until the veggies are soften to your liking.
- Meanwhile, chop the tofu into bite-sized pieces and fry on a pan or in the airfryer until golden brown.
- After the curry is simmered, add in the fried tofu and a squeeze of lime juice. Garnish the curry with some coriander and serve with a bowl of warm rice. Enjoy!
You can serve this recipe with a bowl of warm rice, noodles.
Storage tip: The recipe lasts in the fridge for up to 4 days and in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: thailand