This Thai Pumpkin Soup is an elevation of your typical pumpkin soup. Just imagine exotic and umami flavors with minimal effort. 🎃 It's creamy, sweet with flavorful Thai-inspired aromas.
Thai Pumpkin Soup
One of my favorite appetizers or side dishes to serve at potlucks or dinner parties is Thai pumpkin soup. It's easy and simple to make, yet looks and tastes impressive.
Just imagine the natural sweetness of pumpkin and the flavorful aromas of Thai red curry paste in a comforting bowl of soup. This recipe brings together umami and heavenly Thai flavors and restaurant-quality presentation with minimal effort!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Umami Flavor Profile: Thai Pumpkin Soup has a unique blend of the natural sweetness of pumpkin with a blend of savory, spicy, and tangy flavors.
- Accessible Ingredients: The recipe uses pantry staple ingredients you probably already had at home like coconut milk and Thai red curry paste. The other ingredients like pumpkin, onion and garlic are also readily available in most grocery stores. Alternatively to using pumpkin, you can use pumpkin puree.
- Customizable to your liking: Thai Pumpkin Soup can be adapted to suit different dietary preferences and restrictions. For example, if you prefer a milder version, you can reduce the amount of curry paste or choose a milder variety.
This recipe uses only 6 main ingredients:
- Pumpkin: The pumpkin provides a natural sweetness and creamy texture, serving as the base of the soup.
- Onion: The onion adds savory depth and flavor to the soup, complementing the sweetness of the pumpkin.
- Garlic: Garlic enhances the overall taste profile with its aromatic and savory notes, adding a hint of complexity to the soup.
- Thai red curry paste: Thai red curry paste brings the signature spicy and aromatic flavors of Thai cuisine. It's a shortcut to elevating the soup with a vibrant and bold taste.
- Coconut milk: Coconut milk adds a rich and creamy texture to the soup.
- Lime juice: Lime juice adds a refreshing tanginess and brightens the flavors of the soup.
Peel and cut the pumpkin or butternut squash into cubes.
Stir fry the onion and garlic for 1 minute. Add the Thai red curry paste and mix well together.
Add water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Let the mixture cool before transferring to a blender with the coconut milk. Blend until creamy and smooth.
Transfer to serving bowls and add a squeeze of lime juice. Garnish with the optional cilantro.
If you have tried my recipe, please let me know what you think by leaving me a review on this page or tagging me on Instagram @veggieanh. I would love to see your creations!Print