Skip the takeaway and make these crispy and flavorful tofu 'chicken' nuggets in only 35 minutes. They are made with accessible ingredients and cooked by either deep frying or air frying. Enjoy these with your favorite dipping sauce!
Tofu 'Chicken' Nuggets using the Frozen Tofu Hack
Skip the takeaway and make these tofu 'chicken' nuggets at home by either deep frying or air frying them. These nuggets are easy to make with accessible ingredients like firm tofu, flour, and panko breadcrumbs. Moreover, these take only 35 minutes to make, perfect for any occasion.
To take these nuggets to the next level, check my blog post for tips on Freezing Tofu! This technique helps make the texture more chewy and meaty texture and absorb the taste better 🤤 Alternatively, you can press a block of firm tofu for 30 minutes and this will allow the tofu to release extra moisture.
For this recipe, you'll need:
- Frozen and thawed tofu (see instructions here for freezing tofu)
- All-purpose flour
- Spices (salt, pepper, paprika powder, garlic powder, onion powder)
- Corn starch
- Nutritional yeast
- Plant milk
- Apple cider vinegar
The tofu is coated in two mixtures:
- The first one with flour, corn starch, apple cider vinegar and plant milk.
- The second mixture combines panko breadcrumbs, spices, and nutritional yeast.
First, freeze and thaw your tofu using the instructions in this blog post. Press the tofu by hand to release as much moisture as possible.
Then tear the tofu into chunks or slice it into cubes.
Make the first mixing bowl by whisking together the flour, corn starch, plant milk, and apple cider vinegar.
In a second mixing bowl, add the panko breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast, paprika powder, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder.
Dip each tofu chunk in the flour and plant milk mixture, then transfer to the panko breadcrumb mixture and coat evenly.
Repeat with the rest of the tofu pieces.
Instructions for deep frying:
Heat up a generous amount of oil in a pan. When the oil is heated, add each coated tofu piece in, about 1-inch apart to avoid sticking together.
Fry the tofu until golden on each side (about 3-4 minutes on each side). After the tofu has turned golden and crispy, transfer to a plate or rack to cool down.
Instructions for air frying
Add the coated tofu to the air fryer, coat or spray with oil. Air fry the tofu nuggets at 180°C (350°F) for 20 minutes, flipping halfway.
Why this recipe works
This recipe is:
- Quick and easy to make
- Indulgent yet healthy: these nuggets are deeply satisfying, crispy and you can opt for a healthy option by air frying them
- Versatile: you can pair these nuggets with any dipping sauce of your choice. I recommend vegan sriracha mayo, ketchup, or BBQ sauce.
- Perfect for an easy treat, as they take 35 minutes from start to finish, or on special occasions to enjoy with friends and family.
Variations and Substitutes
- Tofu skin: I use a large sheet of dry tofu skin and rehydrate it in water. If using fresh ones or thin tofu skin, soaking is not necessary.
- To substitute tofu skin, I recommend using rice paper sheets. Soak in water for 1 second to soften before wrapping.
- King oyster mushrooms: If you don't have king oyster mushrooms, you can also use enoki mushrooms and thinly slice them before wrapping them with the tofu skin.
- Gluten-free: All the ingredients in this recipe are gluten-free except for soy sauce, which can be substituted by tamari or coconut aminos.
If you have tried my recipe, please let me know what you think by leaving me a review on this page or tagging me on Instagram @veggieanh. I would love to see your creations!Print