Juicy, meaty tofu meatball banh mi paired with fresh herbs and veggies. Perfect for warm summer days or to take with you to a picnic!
- 400 g firm tofu
- 50 g dried wood ear mushroom
- hot water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 shallot (sub with 1/2 an onion)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp corn starch
Sweet and Sour Glaze
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup water
Assemble the Banh Mi
- vegan sriracha mayo
- 1/2 a cucumber
- pickled carrot
- red chili
- 1 French baguette
- coriander (also known as cilantro)
Make the tofu meatball
- Rehydrate the wood ear mushroom by pouring hot water on it and letting it sit for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, crumble the tofu and drain excess water. Finely mince the shallot and garlic. Preheat the oven to 200°C (392°F).
- In a mixing bowl, add the crumbled tofu, minced garlic and shallot, soy sauce, ketchup, sriracha, and black pepper. After the mushroom is hydrated, drain the water and cut into small pieces. Add the mushroom and corn starch into the mixing bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Shape the mixture into tofu meatballs, this recipe makes about 16-18 meatballs.
- Bake the tofu meatballs in the oven for 20 minutes.
Sweet and Sour glaze
- On a pot, heat up the soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, and minced garlic.
- After the tofu meatballs are baked until golden, mix the meatballs with the sweet and sour glaze.
Assemble the Tofu Meatball Banh Mi
- Thinly slice the cucumber and chili.
- Use a bread knife to cut open the baguette, spread a thin layer of sriracha mayo, then add the vegan tofu meatballs, cucumber slices, pickled carrot, chili slices and coriander. Enjoy!
If you don’t have vegan sriracha mayo: combine 2 tbsp vegan mayo and 1 tbsp sriracha.
To make the pickled carrot from scratch: thinly slice 2-3 medium carrot, add to a jar with 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup vinegar, 2 tbsp sugar and a pinch of salt. Close the lid and shake the jar, let it sit for at least 15 minutes before enjoying. The pickled carrot can keep for up to 2-3 months in the fridge.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: vietnamese
Keywords: banh mi, picnic recipe, summer meal, tofu, tofu meatballs, vietnamese