Vegan version of the famous Emily Mariko salmon rice bowl using tofu. It is easy to make and assemble, making it a quick and yummy lunch.
- 400 g firm or extra firm tofu
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 nori sheet
- 2 servings cooked rice (jasmine or sushi rice works here)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cucumber
- 1-2 nori sheet
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- sesame seeds
Make the tofu 'salmon'
- Cut the tofu block into quarter. Score the tofu using two chopsticks so that the marinade is absored better.
- Season the tofu with the marinade ingredients. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Fry the tofu pieces with some oil, let them sit and get browned before flipping.
- When both sides are golden, pour in the remaining marinade and use a spoon to pour the marinade on the tofu.
- When most of the sauce is evaporated, remove the tofu from the heat.
Assemble the Rice Bowl
- Add the tofu to the plate. Mash finely with a fork, then put in the cooked rice.
- Mix the rice and tofu together, then drizzle on top sriracha and mayo. Mix well.
- Top with the avocado, cucumber, kimchi, sesame seeds and nori sheet. Enjoy by putting the ingredients on the nori like a sushi!
You can use leftover rice for this by microwaving with an ice cube and baking paper on top for 1 minute. If you cook new rice, this step is not needed.
All the toppings are customizable, feel free to swap them with ingredients you have already had in the fridge.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Fusion, Japanese
Keywords: comfort food, easy to make, tofu, vegan