A few months ago, my friend Liza made me Vareniki (Ukrainian dumplings) and I have completely fallen in love with them. Vareniki are easy to make, savory, comforting and go so well with the vegan sour cream. It makes a wholesome and filling dish, with dumplings you can never go wrong.
With everything going on in Ukraine, I know as an individual, I cannot do anything. So by sharing this recipe, I hope to raise awareness of the situation. My heart and prayers are with the citizens of Ukraine.
Vareniki – Ukrainian dumplings
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1.5 cup warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp oil
- 500 g mushroom
- 1 onion
- salt and pepper
- water to boil
- 2 tbsp fried onions
- 2 tbsp vegan sour cream
Make the dough
- Combine the flour, warm water, salt and oil in a mixing bowl. Knead until forms a smooth ball.
- Rest for 30 minutes.
Make the filling
- Chop the onion and mushroom into thin slices.
- On a pan on medium-high heat, add in the oil, followed by the onions. Stir until golden, for about 5 mins. Add in the mushroom slices until wilted, season with salt and pepper.
Make the dumplings
- After resting, roll the dough out on a floured surface. Use a round cup to form small dumpling wrappers.
- Add 1 tbsp to each wrapper, close the wrapper and shape into the dumpling shape (view the video).
- After wrapping all the dumplings, put them in boiling water and cook until they float on top.
- Serve with fried onions and vegan sour cream.