Vegan Vietnamese Beef Stew (Bò Kho) is a comforting and satisfying stew, served with fresh herbs and a crispy baguette that will keep you coming back for more. The jackfruit makes a wonderful plant-based alternative to the beef, it has a tender, pull-apart texture that just melts in your mouth.
Ingredients for the vegan Beef Stew
- 200g mushrooms of choice
- 3 carrots
- 5 stalks lemongrass (use 3 to cut into chunks, and mince the remaining 2)
- 200g fried tofu
- 2 cans of Nature's Charm sriracha marinated jackfruit
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 red chili pepper
- 300ml coconut water
- 1 medium yellow onion (or 2 small yellow onions)
- 2 tsp corn starch (optional)
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp 5-spice powder
- 4 tbsp vegan fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mushroom seasoning or salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp sriracha
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 French baguette (or 2-3 Vietnamese baguette)
- Thai basil
- Chili slices and lime wedges
Prepare the vegetables
- Cut the mushrooms, carrots, and lemongrass into equal-sized pieces. Smash the lemongrass with the back of your knife to release aroma.
- If using pre-fried tofu: cut the tofu into slices.
- If using tofu: cut the tofu into slices, then fry the tofu slices in oil until golden brown on both sides.
- Add the mushrooms, carrots, lemongrass chunks and tofu to a bowl. Add the seasoning ingredients: curry powder, 5-spice powder, vegan fish sauce (or soy sauce), mushroom seasoning (or salt), sugar, sriracha, and black pepper. Marinate for 20 minutes.
Prepare the Stew
- Finely mince the remaining lemongrass, shallots, garlic and chili pepper.
- In a big pot, add the oil, the minced lemongrass, shallots, garlic and chili pepper. Add the marinated vegetables, tofu and stir fry them for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the coconut water and enough water to cover all the ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Add the marinated jackfruit and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- If you want the stew thicker: Cut the yellow onions into thin slices and add to the stew. Make a corn starch slurry by mixing 2 tsp corn starch and 6 tsp water in a separate bowl. Add this to the stew and boil for another 10 minutes until thickened.
Assemble the vegan beef stew
- Assemble the vegan beef stew in a big bowl with fresh herbs and a few slices of baguette.
If you don't have pre-marinated jackfruit, after draining them from the can, pat dry the jackfruits, then marinate with the vegetables and tofu.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Meal
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: vietnamese
Keywords: comfort food, soup, soy free, stew, vegan beef, jackfruit