Vegan Bibimbap is a Korean mixed rice dish with vibrant stir-fried vegetables, saucy tofu and a spicy Gochujang dressing. It is the best way to eat vegetables and clean out the leftover ingredients in your fridge!
What is Bibimbap?
Bibimbap is a Korean mixed rice bowl with individually prepared vegetables, a protein of choice like meat, eggs or tofu and a gochujang-based sauce. In Korean, "bibim" is literally translated to "mixed" and "bap" means rice. So bibimbap means "mixed rice" in Korean.
It is one of the most popular Korean dishes yet it is so simple and easy to make!
This recipe of Vegan Bibimbap
This recipe has 3 main components: Stir-fried vegetables, Saucy tofu and Gochujang-based sauce.
Individually prepared vegetables
In this recipe, I use individually prepared vegetables like:
- Cucumber: make the cucumber salad by cutting the cucumber into slices, add salt to draw out excess moisture. Afterwards, drain the excess moisture then season with salt, garlic powder and sesame oil.
- Spinach: blanch the spinach in lightly salted water, then strain and put in cold water. Afterwards, season the spinach with salt, minced garlic and sesame oil.
- Bean sprouts: the process of preparing the bean sprouts is similar to how you prepare spinach.
- Carrot: julienne the carrot, then stir-fried with salt, minced garlic and sesame oil
- Kimchi: make sure to use a vegan brand of kimchi!
Fry the tofu until golden and crispy and mix with about 2 tablespoon of the Gochujang-based sauce.
To make the Korean iconic sauce to mix with the tofu and rice, we are using:
- Rice vinegar
- Agave nectar or maple syrup or other sweeteners of choice
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
You can use short-grained or jasmine rice and cook like you normally would. Afterwards, assemble the Bibimbap with the rice in the bottom, then top it with the vegetables, saucy tofu and the remaining gochujang sauce.
Why you'll enjoy this recipe
You'll love this recipe because:
- Easy to make: it might seem overwhelming to prepare all vegetables separately, but the process itself is quite easy and therapeutic to make.
- Versatile: the vegetables to use in this recipes are just suggestions. Feel free to be creative and make use of some other veggies that you have on hand, such as mushrooms, zucchini or other plant-based protein like tempeh, mock meat,...
- Delicious and colorful: this recipe is perfect for family or kids as this vegan bibimbap looks appetizing yet has so many hidden vegetables.
- The best way to clean out your remaining veggies: if you have any leftover veggies that are about to go bad, make sure to include them in this bibimbap!
If you have tried my recipe, please let me know what you think by leaving me a review on this page or tagging me on Instagram @veggieanh. I would love to see your creations!Print
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 3 1x
This Vegan Bibimbap is a Korean mixed rice dish and classic comfort food, using a variety of leftover ingredients to clean out the fridge. It's the best way to eat more vegetables, so filling and healthy!
- 1 cucumber
- 200 g spinach
- bean sprouts
- 1 carrot
- 200 g firm tofu
- ½ cup vegan kimchi
- sesame oil
- 2 tbsp gochujang
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp agave/maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 clove garlic
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- sesame seeds for garnish
Prepare the vegetables
- Wash and boil the spinach for 2 minutes, then strain and put in ice water to stop cooking.
- Wash and boil the bean sprouts for 2 minutes, then strain and put in ice water.
- In separate bowls, add the spinach and bean sprouts.
- Season the spinach and bean sprouts with salt, garlic and toasted sesame oil.
- Cut the cucumber into thin slices, salt for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, drain the excess water. Season with salt, garlic powder, and sesame oil.
- Peel and thinly slice the carrot. Stir fry the carrot slices in a dash of salt and sesame oil.
Prepare the Gochujang sauce
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix well.
Prepare the gochujang tofu
- Drain and chop the tofu into small pieces. Fry the tofu on a pan until both sides are golden.
- Put in 2 tablespoon of sauce, coat to mix.
Make the Bibimbap bowl
- In a bowl, add a bowl of rice, the vegetable side dishes, tofu, kimchi and drizzle the gochujang sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Feel free to swap the ingredients with all the ingredients you might have: zucchini, mushroom work great here!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Korean
Keywords: bibimbap, comfort food, Korean recipes, mixed rice, tofu bibimbap, vegan