Vegan Vietnamese Bò Kho (Beef Stew) is a comforting and satisfying stew, served with fresh herbs and a crispy baguette that will keep you coming back for more. The jackfruit makes a wonderful plant-based alternative to the beef, it has a tender, pull-apart texture that just melts in your mouth.
- 2 cans young jackfruit
- 1 tbsp cooking oil (or sub with water if you are oil-free)
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 cubes bo kho seasoning (~ 2.5 tbsp)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 2 large carrots
- 4–5 cremini mushroom (or sub with portabello mushroom)
- 200 ml coconut water
- salt or mushroom seasoning (season to taste)
- 1 tsp five-spice powder
- 1 French baguette (or 2–3 Vietnamese baguette)
- Thai basil
- Chili slices and lime wedges
- Drain and rinse 2 cans of jackfruit. Use a paper towel to absorb all the excess moisture.
- In a pan or pot, brown the jackfruit in the oil to soften and neutralize its sour taste, about 10 minutes. Add more water to deglaze the pan.
- Remove from heat, marinade the jackfruit in a bowl with dark soy sauce and 1 cube of Vietnamese bo kho seasoning (mixed with 2 tbsp water). Marinade for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the aromatics: mince the shallot, garlic and lemongrass. Wash and chop the vegetables into thick chunks: about 2 cm for the carrots and cut the mushroom into quarter.
- Back to the pot: add oil, stir fry the minced aromatics for about 5 minutes, then add the marinated jackfruit, vegetables. Mix well to combine.
- Add the coconut water and add enough boiling water to cover everything. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy the jackfruit 'beef' stew with the optional baguette slices, cilantro, Thai basil, lime wedges and chili slices.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: vietnamese
Keywords: comfort food, soup, soy free, stew, vegan beef