This vegan Budae Jjigae, or Korean Army Stew, uses easily accessible ingredients simmering in a cozy broth and a spicy & savory sauce. Perfect for a cold or rainy day!
What is Vegan Budae Jjigae?
Budae Jjigae or Korean Army Stew is a Korean fusion stew that incorporates Korean flavors and American-styled processed food such as spam, sausages, canned baked beans, and sliced cheese. It was a very popular food option right after the Korean wars, as food back then was scarce and processed food was accessible to many Korean people.
This recipe is my plant-based take on the classic Budae Jjigae and uses a variety of vegetables, mushrooms, and soft tofu. It's a comforting dish that is full of flavors from the Gochujang-based sauce.
Why you'll love this Vegan Budae Jjigae recipe
This recipe is:
- Made in one pot: this recipe is made in a shallow pot, you just need to add all the ingredients and sauce then simmer.
- Easy and quick to make: it can be made in 15 minutes with easy preparation and cooking techniques
- Customizable: the ingredients in this Budae Jjigae are customizable according to your preferences
- Comforting: it's a comforting recipe for cold or rainy days
- Ideal for spice lovers: this recipe definitely has a bit of heat, however, you can reduce and add more gochujang than the recommended amount to fit your liking.
- Perfect for a gathering with friends: as this recipe is served in a hotpot style, it can be enjoyed with friends or family. Gather around the pot, then each person takes out the cooked ingredients and adds more to the pot in the meanwhile.
Ingredients & substitutions
For 2 servings, this recipe uses ingredients such as:
- 100g enoki mushroom
- 50g oyster mushroom
- 100g cabbage or other greens
- 200g soft or silken tofu
- ½ cup kimchi
- 50g bean sprouts
- Ramen noodles
- Scallions (green onions)
You can customize the soup ingredients based on what you have. Other suggestions could be:
- Shiitake mushrooms or other mushrooms
- Rice noodles
- Bok choy
- Plant-based meat products like meatballs or sausages
How to make this recipe
First, prep all the ingredients: cut the tofu into pieces, wash the vegetables and mushrooms, thinly chop the scallion and make the sauce using the sauce ingredients.
Then, add the ingredients (minus the ramen noodles and scallion) to a shallow pot. Add water and cover with a lid until it comes to a boil.
Simmer the ingredients for 7 minutes or until cooked. Then add the ramen noodles and simmer for an additional 3 minutes.
Serve the recipe by gradually taking out some ingredients from the stew in a soup bowl.
If you have tried this recipe, please leave me a review (at the end of the page) or tag me on Instagram @veggieanh.Print