Rice porridge is my comfort food, especially when it's cold or when I'm feeling under the weather. It's like a warm hug in a bowl, and give me nostalgia for childhood days. This recipe keeps it simple with rice, mung beans, carrot and vegan shredded chick'n made from king oyster mushroom.
- 1 cup rice (I used jasmine rice, you can also use short-grain rice or glutinous rice)
- 16 cup water
- 1/2 cup split mung beans
- 1 thumb-sized ginger
- 1 big or medium carrot
- 150 g king oyster mushroom (or you can use vegan chicken)
- salt and pepper
- 2 stalk green onions
- Wash the rice 3 times in a big pot. Boil 10 cups of water. Pour the water in the pot and bring to a boil.
- Slice the ginger (don't have to be too thin).
- Add the ginger slices and mung beans to the pot, close the lid and let it simmer for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash and dice the carrot into small pieces. Shred the king oyster mushroom using a fork or by hand to resemble the chicken pieces. Thinly slice the green onions.
- In the last 15 minutes, add more water to reach the desired consistency. I added 3 more cups of water, as I don't like my porridge too thin. You can add more or less water depending on your liking.
- Add the seasoning, carrot pieces and shredded mushroom into the pot. Simmer for the remaining time.
- Thinly slice the green part of the green onion. Add them to the pot (save about ⅓ for garnish) and mix well. Turn off heat.
- Serve the rice porridge in a bowl and garnish with the remaining green onions.
This leftover from this recipe can be refrigerated. You can make a big pot, store in the fridge or freezer and pop it in the microwave to reheat.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: vietnamese