Vegan Congee (Cháo Chay) is an easy-to-make meal using simple, affordable ingredients. It is my ultimate remedy for cold or sick days!
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups of hot water
- 1 piece thumb-sized ginger
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 lemongrass stalk
- 1 cup of rice (jasmine or short-grain rice work best!)
- 10 cups of water
- 2 stalks scallion
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 400g firm tofu
- Scallion slices
- Chili oil
- Rehydrate the dried shiitake mushroom by pouring hot water on top and letting it sit for 30 minutes.
- Peel and thinly slice the ginger and garlic.
- Cut the lemongrass into chunks and smash them to release their flavors.
- Wash the rice 3 times and rinse until the water runs clear. After rinsing the last time, pour 10 cups of water, together with the lemongrass, ginger, and garlic, and bring to a boil.
- After coming to a boil, add the rehydrated shiitake mushrooms and the mushroom water and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare your toppings: remove the mushroom from the congee and thinly slice. Pat dry, slice the tofu into bite-sized pieces and fry until golden brown.
- After this, the rice has broken down and forms a porridge texture. Add extra water if you want a thinner consistency. Season with soy sauce, salt and pepper, and add in the sliced scallions. Mix together.
- Serve the Congee in a bowl and top with fried tofu, more scallion, cilantro and chili oil.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
Keywords: congee, rice porridge, chao, vietnamese food, vegan, comfort food