Vegan Hainanese Chicken Rice is an innovative plant-based twist on the classic Singaporean dish! The vegan chicken is made from king oyster mushrooms wrapped in delicate tofu skin, creating a remarkably realistic chicken-like texture.
2 cups of rice
1 tbsp ginger
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 vegetable broth cube
Salt, white pepper
2 tsp kombu dashi
Tied bunch of pandan leaves
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
150 king oyster mushrooms (4)
Salt rub mixture:
1 tsp salt or mushroom seasoning
1/8 tsp Chinese 5-spice powder
Dash of black pepper
1 large sheet of tofu skin (yuba)
Garlic Chili Sauce
- 2 red chillies
- 3 cloves garlic
Small piece ginger
- 3-4 calamansi limes
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Water to blend
Sweet Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp veg oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sweetener
- Cilantro or Chopped scallions
Making the Rice:
- Rinse rice 3 to 4 times and drain the starchy water it produces.
- To a pot, add sesame oil. Saute ginger paste until fragrant for 30 seconds.
- Add rice to the pot and saute for a few minutes.
- Add 3.5 cups of water, followed by kombu dashi, salt, white pepper. Then add in a tied bunch of pandan leaves.
- If you’re using a pressure cooker, let it cook on high flame until you hear the whistle. Switch off your stove and let it remain in the steam for 10-15 minutes.
- If you’re using a rice cooker, add the rice and water, then close the lid and press the button to start the cooking process.
Make the vegan 'Chicken':
- Boil King Oyster Mushrooms in 4 cups of water. Add a vegetable stock cube and let the mushrooms boil for 10 minutes. (Add salt if you’re not using vegetable stock.)
- Remove the mushrooms and transfer to an ice bath. Gently squeeze the mushrooms to drain off excess water.
- Soak your tofu skin in hot water until it becomes soft (about 1 minute)
- Slit your mushrooms vertically and slice them open so they form a flat cutlet shape. Prepare the salt rub using mushroom seasoning, pepper and 5-spice powder. Rub the mushrooms with the spice mix.
- Wrap the mushroom cutlets in tofu skin. This will be our vegan chicken.
- To a pan, add some oil and fry the vegan chicken on both sides until lightly browned. Keep them aside and chop them into slices.
- For the chili sauce, combine all the ingredients required in a high-speed blender.
- For the sweet soy sauce, combine the ingredients and give them a good mix.
- Once the rice is cooked, mix in soy sauce and sesame oil for extra flavor.
- Plate the rice with the vegan chicken, sliced cucumber, tomatoes and coriander (or scallions). Serve with chili sauce and sweet soy sauce.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Meal
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Singaporean, Chinese
Keywords: hainanese chicken rice, vegan chicken, chicken rice recipe