Vegan Mapo Tofu is a vegan version of the signature Sichuan dish. It has a numbing, spicy flavor that is perfectly balanced with sauteéd mushrooms and soft tofu cubes.
- 1 block (400g) soft tofu
- 150g mushroom
- 3 stalks scallions (green onions)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tbsp doubanjiang (spicy bean paste)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin (or Shaoxing cooking wine)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground Sichuan peppercorns
- 200 ml water
- Corn starch slurry: 1 tbsp corn starch + 3 tbsp water
- Warm bowl of rice
- Cut a block of soft tofu into cubes.
- Thinly slice the scallion, and separate them into white and green parts. Finely mince the garlic. Cut the mushrooms into small pieces.
- If using whole peppercorns: Grind the peppercorns mortar and pestle.
- In a pot, blanch the tofu in salted boiling water for 3 minutes, then use a strainer to strain out the tofu.
- In a pan, add the cooking oil, mushroom pieces and stir fry until lightly golden. Add in the minced garlic and the white part of the scallions. Stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add in the doubanjiang, soy sauce, sugar, Sichuan peppercorns, mirin and water. Mix together, then bring to a boil and add in the tofu cubes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the corn starch and water to make the corn starch slurry. Add the slurry to the pan, and simmer on low heat until thickened.
- Garnish with the green part of the scallions.
- Lightly mix and transfer to a plate, enjoy with a bowl of warm rice.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: sichuan peppercorn, spicy, silken tofu, mapo tofu, sichuan dish, chinese recipe, vegan