A vegan version of the popular Hawaiian snack – spam musubi using red lentil tofu!
- 400g red lentil tofu (or use regular soy tofu)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 Nori sheets
- 200g sushi rice (or short-grained rice)
- 2 tbsp sushi rice vinegar
Make the Vegan Tofu ‘Spam’:
- Vertically slice your tofu into thin rectangular slices. The optional step is to trim the edges into more round, more similar to the shape of spam.
- In a container, add the soy sauce, mirin, liquid smoke, sugar, garlic powder, ground ginger, and water and mix them together.
- Add the tofu slices to the container, close the lid and lightly shake it to marinate the tofu. Marinate it for at least 30 minutes, the more you marinate, the better it absorbs the sauce.
- If frying:
- Add 2 tbsp of oil to the pan and add the tofu slices when the tofu turns hot. Let the tofu sit for a few minutes until the other side is golden. Then flip to the other side.
- Brush the remaining marinade sauce on top of the tofu slices and remove from heat when most of the sauce is evaporated.
- If baking:
- Bake the tofu for 15-20 minutes at 200°C (400°F), flipping halfway.
- Brush the baked tofu slices with the remaining marinade sauce.
Make the sushi rice
- Wash and cook the sushi rice according to package instructions.
- After cooking, let the rice cool for 10 minutes before mixing it with rice vinegar, sugar, and salt.
Assemble the Spam Musubi
- Cut your Nori sheet into thirds: I like to fold it in 3, then use a scissor to cut in the line.
- Bring everything to your kitchen table to assemble the Spam Musubi: a bowl of water, cooked sushi rice, fried red lentil tofu, and nori sheets.
- Wet your hand in the bowl of water and take about 1/4 of the rice. Push together it firmly to shape it into a long rectangular ball (similar in length to the tofu slice).
- On a plate or cutting board, add the nori sheet at the bottom, the rice ball, followed by the tofu ‘spam’. Add some water at the edge of the nori to seal it together!
- Repeat these steps for the other ingredients to make the rest of the spam musubi.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Hawaiian
Keywords: tofu, red lentil tofu, vegan spam, spam musubi