Vegan Sushi Bake is the perfect solution for when you crave sushi but don’t have the time and energy to make it. All the classic flavors are baked until golden perfection and enjoyed with some nori!
What is Vegan Sushi Bake?
Not sure how this recipe came about, but I have seen many people on TikTok make it. Sushi Bake is basically a sushi casserole usually made with spicy salmon or surimi. In this plant-based version, I used a combination of oyster mushroom and smoked tofu and marinade them in a spicy (vegan) mayo sauce!
It is WAY easier to make than traditional sushi, and fun to make and eat. Bring this recipe to a potluck, or dinner party. This recipe is full of classic sushi flavors from the nori sheet, spicy sriracha & mayo and furikake rice seasoning!
Ingredients and substitutions
First, make the rice like with traditional sushi:
- You can use short-grained or sushi rice. Other types of white rice would also work for this recipe (jasmine or basmati).
- Cook on the stove top or in the rice cooker like you would with normal rice.
- Then season with sugar, salt and rice vinegar.
To make the Mushroom & Tofu filling, you’ll need:
- Oyster mushrooms: these mushrooms have a chewy, meaty taste and texture that work perfect here. Alternatively, you can use other types of mushrooms such as cremini mushroom, king oyster, and enoki mushroom.
- Tofu: I chose smoked tofu for a smoky flavors, but you can also use regular firm tofu.
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Sesame oil
- Green onions: can swap with coriander
After baking the sushi, the toppings bring the sushi bake to life:
- Avocado slices
- Cucumber slices
- White or black sesame seeds
- A generous drizzle of vegan sriracha mayo
Other alternatives to topping are:
- Shredded nori
- Shredded carrots
How to serve this recipe?
You can serve this by scooping with a spoon or nori. Make sure to grab all the ingredients so that you can have all the flavors in that magic bite!
If you have tried my recipe, please let me know what you think by leaving me a review on this page or tagging me on Instagram @veggieanh. I would love to see your creations!
Vegan Sushi Bake
- 2 cups sushi rice or other types of white rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp furikake
Mushroom & Tofu Filling
- 200 g smoked tofu
- 200 g oyster mushroom
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 green onion
- 1 nori sheet
- 1 avocado
- ½ cucumber
- vegan sriracha mayo
- sesame seeds
Make the Sushi Rice
- Cook the sushi rice like you normally would.2 cups sushi rice, 3 cups water
- Season the rice with salt, sugar, rice vinegar and furikake seasoning.1 tsp salt, 2 tbsp sugar, 3 tbsp furikake, 3 tbsp rice vinegar
Make the Mushroom & Tofu Filling
- Thinly cut the smoked tofu, mushroom and green onion into small equal-sized pieces.200 g oyster mushroom, 200 g smoked tofu
- In a bowl, combine the tofu and mushroom pieces with the soy sauce, vegan mayonnaise, sriracha, sesame oil and green onions.2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise, 1 tbsp sriracha, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 green onion
Make the Sushi Bake
- Pre-heat the oven at 200°C (397°F).
- In a baking dish, add the cooked rice at the bottom, followed by tofu & mushroom filling.
- Bake until golden & crispy, then top with avocado, cucumber slices, vegan sriracha mayo and sesame seeds.1 nori sheet, 1 avocado, ½ cucumber, vegan sriracha mayo, sesame seeds
- Enjoy by wrapping it with a shredded nori sheet!