Veggie Banh Bao is a classic Vietnamese breakfast or snack. It features a light, fluffy bun with savory mushroom, carrot, and cabbage fillings.
What is Banh Bao?
Banh Bao is a Vietnamese-styled Bun, typically served as breakfast or a light meal. It has a round shape and is traditionally filled with savory fillings like meat, mushrooms, and vegetables. It's savory, filling, and delicious.
This recipe is a vegan version of the traditional Vietnamese Banh Bao. It uses mushroom, cabbage and shiitake mushroom as fillings and seasonings like salt, pepper, soy sauce and vegan oyster sauce.
Why you'll love this Veggie Banh Bao recipe?
This recipe is:
- A new and unique breakfast idea other than avocado toast and oatmeal. This is such a unique and new way to enjoy breakfast.
- Filling yet nutritious: It makes a balanced meal with enough carbs, fiber, protein while being so filling to keep you energized throughout the day.
- Fun to make: it's perfect for making with other people or for social gatherings. I love to have friends over and divide the task to make together
- Versatile and customizable: other than the recommended filling here, you can have fun with the ingredients like tofu
- Perfect for making ahead and in batches: My family typically makes the Banh Bao in batches, then freeze or refrigerate and pops them out to steam before enjoying warm!
If you have tried my recipe, please let me know what you think by leaving me a review on this page or tagging me on Instagram @veggieanh. I would love to see your creations!Print