Vietnamese broken rice dish is for a simple to make and iconic food from Southern Vietnam. I love it every time I visit Sai Gon. Full of flavor, the soft and fluffy broken rice with grilled pork chops, and an outstanding fish sauce will excite your taste buds. For the vegan version, I’m using frozen and thawed tofu as a plant-based alternative.
Vietnamese Broken Rice Dish with Grilled Tofu
- 450 g firm or medium firm tofu frozen and thawed would work best
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vegan oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sriracha hot sauce
- 1 tsp 5 spice powder optional
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp oil
- ¼ cup water to deglaze the pan
- 180-200 g broken rice
Prepare the sauces
- 1 tbsp vegan fish sauce or sub with soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- 1 tbsp warm water
- 1 stalk spring onion
- 2 tbsp hot oil
- ½ a cucumber
- picked carrots
- 1 tomato or 3 cherry tomatoes
- 2 pieces Vietnamese vegan meatloaf I will share the recipe later
- Cut the tofu into thin slides. Marinate the tofu pieces with soy sauce, sriracha, sugar, 5 spice powder, sesame oil and water. Cover and refridgerate for 30 minutes for the tofu to absorb the sauce.
- Meanwhile, prepare the broken rice according to package instruction.
- After 30 minutes, fry the tofu with some oil on medium high heat. Let the tofu sit on the pan to char for 8-10 minutes.
- Once one side of the tofu is slightly charred, flip it and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with ¼ cup of water. Simmer until all the water is evaporated.
- Remove the tofu from the pan.
- Make the spring onion oil (by heating up the oil – microwave for 1:30 min or boil in a pot, then adding the spring onion slices).
- Make the fish sauce by combining the fish sauce, sugar, lime juice and water.
- Serve on a plate with the broken rice, optional toppings (cucumber slices, pickled carrots, meatloaf)