Vietnamese fried spring roll is a staple for the special holidays and family gatherings. It can be deep fried or fried and served with plenty of fresh herbs 🌿 Here’s how my family and I like to make it at home!
- 400 g firm tofu
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- vermicelli rice noodles
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 5 dried wood ear mushrooms
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- salt and pepper
Wrap the spring rolls
- rice papers
Fish sauce mix
- 2 tbsp vegan fish sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 6 tbsp water
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 2 chili
Optional for Garnish
- lettuce (or other veggies)
Make the filling
- Put the dried shiitake and wood ear mushroom in hot boiling water for 15 minutes. Put the rice noodles in hot water for 10 minutes to soften.
- Mash the tofu. Finely dice and mince the carrot and onion.
- After soaking in water, drain the mushroom and finely dice into small pieces.
- Drain the rice noodles and use the scissor to cut into small pieces (about 2cm in length).
- In a big bowl, mix the tofu, diced carrot, onion, mushroom and rice noodles.
- Add 1 tbsp corn starch and season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
Make the spring roll
- In a shallow dish, pour some warm water (you can combine 2 parts boiling water and 1 part cold water)
- Dip the rice paper into the warm water for a few seconds. Do not soak them for too long or they will become too sticky to handle.
- Put about 1.5 tbsp of the filling on the lower edge of the rice paper.
- Wrap the filling, fold in the sides and keep rolling. Repeat the steps to make the other rolls.
Fry the spring rolls
- In a pan, add oil. When the oil is a bit hot, add the spring rolls. Give some space between each roll to avoid sticking.
- Let the spring rolls sit on the pan for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Then flip to the other side and repeat until all sides are golden.
- Put the spring rolls on some paper towels to remove the excess oil.
- Make the fish sauce mixture by combining the vegan fish sauce, vinegar, sugar, water, lime juice, minced garlic and minched chili.
- Serve the spring rolls with lettuce, herbs and fish sauce mixture.
The recipe serves best right after frying, it's super crunchy and has the best texture. If you leave the fried spring rolls overnight, the rice paper will get soggy. Therefore, I recommend you to only fry the ones you are planning to eat.
For meal prepping, you can batch roll a lot of them, then keep them in the fridge or freezer and only fry them before eating. Put parchment paper between the rolls to avoid them from sticking together.
The spring rolls (before frying) keep well for up to 3-4 days in the fridge and up to 2 months.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Course, Snack
- Method: frying, deep frying
- Cuisine: vietnamese
Keywords: comfort food, fried food, lunar new year, spring meal, spring rolls, summer meal, vegan, vietnamese, winter recipes