This recipe is part of my Summer Salad recipe series. Vietnamese Mango Salad (Gỏi Xoài) is a simple and fresh dish featuring green unripe mangoes, herbs such as mint or cilantro and the added crunch from peanuts and fried shallots. I also added carrots, red onions and cucumber for a more vibrant color, but you can also use any veggies and herbs you have on hand (bell peppers, cabbage).
To cut the mango into slices, you can use a julienne veggie peeler, a mandolin slicer or a knife. The veggies taste the best when sliced as thinly as possible. The dressing sauce adds a sweet, savory, sour, umami flavor profile to the salad.
Key Ingredients of the Vietnamese Mango Salad
The star of the dish is the unripe mango. The recipe also uses other veggies like cucumber, carrot, red onion and coriander. The veggies and mango are as thinly sliced as possible so that you can have more taste in one bite. This combination of veggies not only adds vibrant colour to the dish but also makes it healthy and fresh. The traditional version of Vietnamese Mango Salad uses shrimp but is omitted to keep this recipe completely plant-based. For plant-based protein, you can use tofu, tempeh or even chickpeas.
Like many other Vietnamese recipes, this Vietnamese Mango Salad calls for a mix of sauces to add a umami flavors:
- Vegan Fish Sauce: you can substitute this with soy sauce
- Rice Vinegar: you can substitute this with apple cider vinegar or more lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar: can be substituted with other sweeteners like agave or maple syrup
- Lime juice: adds the acidity to the dish
- Minced garlic and chili: bring wonderful aromatics to the dish
Vietnamese Mango Salad (Gỏi Xoài)
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
This Vietnamese Mango Salad is a light, herbaceous and healthy summer salad that will brighten up your table, or as a side dish to accompany savory dishes. It brings a vibrant tropical vibe with a simple Vietnamese dressing that aims to impress.
- 1 mango
- ½ cucumber
- ½ carrot (or 1 small carrot)
- ¼ red onion
- ½ bunch coriander / cilantro
Vegan Fish Sauce dressing
- 2 tbsp soy sauce / vegan fish sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar (sub with apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tbsp sugar (sub with maple syrup/ agave syrup)
- Juice from ½ a lime
- 2 tsp minced garlic and chili (I used about 4 cloves of garlic and 1 Thai chili)
- roasted chopped peanuts
- crispy fried shallots
- coriander / cilantro
- Peel all the veggies, then julienne using a mandolin slicer or knife. Remove the seeds from the cucumber and mango.
- Make the dressing by combining the vegan fish sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, and lime juice.
- Add all ingredients to the bowl, add the dressing to taste and top with roasted chopped peanuts and fried onions.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Side Dish
- Cuisine: vietnamese
Keywords: 15-minute meal, goi xoai, healthy, mango salad, oil-free, summer meal, tropical, vegetable, vietnamese mango salad
If you enjoy this recipe, check out my other Vietnamese dishes:
- Vietnamese Grilled Eggplant with Scallion Oil
- Vegan Vietnamese Pancakes
- Mung Beans Sticky Rice
- Other Vietnamese Recipes
Or check out other recipes in my Summer Salad series!
I really loved this recipe! Made it a few times already and it's going to be on repeat allsummer!
Veggie Anh says
Wow, we love a good mango salad for the summer!