Crispy golden vegan 'pork' using 3 realistic layers of bread, TVP slices and coconut tapioca mixture. The vegan pork is crispy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside, and dipped in sweet soy sauce.
Pork fat layer
TVP slices (Lean meat layer)
- 8 TVP slices (could be more, depending on the size of the TVP)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/8 tsp 5-spice powder
- Oil for frying
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1 small baguette (or 1/4 of a baguette)
Sweet soy sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or other sweeteners of choice)
- 1 chili
To make the ‘lean meat’ layer
- Dehydrate the TVP slices by pouring hot water on them and letting them sit for 20 minutes.
- Drain and rinse and squeeze out excess water out of the TVP slices.
- Marinate with soy sauce and 5-spice powder, then fry in oil until golden and crispy!
To make the coconut ‘fat’ layer
- On a pan on low heat, combine the rice flour, tapioca starch, coconut milk and water.
- Keep mixing the mixture until it forms a thick white paste, that is very similar to pork fat. This takes about 5-10 minutes.
To make the pork skin layer
- If using a small baguette, split it in half lengthwise. If using a long baguette, cut it into a quarter and cut the quarter in half.
- Take out some of the crumb (soft inner part) of the bread.
Assemble the Vegan Pork Belly
- To make the vegan pork belly, layer the 3 layers together: bread ‘skin’ in the bottom, followed by a thick layer of coconut ‘fat’, ‘lean meat’ (TVP slices), coconut ‘fat’, and ‘lean meat’ tofu. The coconut ‘fat’ in between each layer will help the layers stick together.
- Brush the outer side of the bread layer with a mixture of oil and 5-spice powder.
- Wrap the vegan pork belly tightly with aluminum foil and steam for 25-30 minutes.
- Afterward, chill the vegan pork belly in the fridge for at least 4 hours or freezer for 2 hours (preferably overnight).
- Cut into thin slices that resemble ‘pork belly’ slices and fry in a lot of oil until golden crispy on both sides.
Make the Sweet soy sauce dip:
- In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, maple syrup, and chili slices (cut the chili into slices using a knife or scissor).
- Enjoy as a dipping sauce with the crispy pork. Alternatively, you can make lettuce wraps from the vegan crispy pork, rice noodles and dip in the sauce.
You can use fried tofu or vegan chicken in place of TVP slices. Note to dip the tofu slightly in a mixture of cornstarch and water to help the layers stick together better.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: steaming, freezing
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
Keywords: vegan crispy pork, pork belly