Vegan Japchae is a plant-based version of the classic Korean stir-fried noodle dish. It makes a satisfying, vibrant and nutritious meal!
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 red bell pepper (or other color)
- 1 small carrot (or 1/2 a medium carrot)
- 1 green onion
- 1 tbsp oil
- 100 g spinach
- 200 g Korean sweet potato noodles
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- sesame seeds
- Remove the stems and thinly slice the shiitake mushrooms. In a bowl, combine mushroom slices, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp sesame oil, and 1 tsp minced garlic.
- Mix well to ensure the mushrooms are evenly coated. Set aside and allow them to marinate while you prepare the other ingredients.
Boil Noodles and Spinach:
- Boil the sweet potato noodles according to the package instructions. (I add them to a pot with boiling water for 2 minutes). Rinse the noodles under cold water and add 1 tbsp sesame oil to prevent them from sticking. Cut the noodles 3 or 4 times.
- In a separate pot, blanch the spinach in boiling water for a minute.
- Drain the spinach, then rinse them under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Set aside.
Stir Fry Vegetables:
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large pan or wok over medium-high heat.
- Add sliced onion and stir fry until softened. Cut red bell pepper and carrot into matchsticks.
- Add the carrots and mushrooms and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Incorporate spinach, noodles, and sliced scallions.
- Add the marinated mushrooms to the pan with the stir-fried vegetables.
- Toss in the blanched spinach and cooked noodles.
- Mix all the ingredients together, ensuring they are well combined.
Prepare the Sauce:
- In a small bowl, whisk together 3 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp sugar, black pepper and 2 tsp sesame oil until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the sauce over the vegetable and noodle mixture in the pan.
- Gently stir and toss everything together, ensuring the sauce coats all the ingredients evenly.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over the Vegan Japchae for added texture and flavor.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: Korean
- Serving Size: 3 servings
Keywords: 30-minute meal, japchae, vegan japchae, korean stir fried noodles, college recipes, comfort food, fresh, noodles, rainbow veggies, weeknight friendly