Yummy, easy vegan kimbab with two types of filling: tofu and chickpea 'tuna'. Easy to make, filling and perfect to travel with!
- 300 g sushi or short-grain rice
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- sesame seeds
- 4 sheets nori
- 200 g tofu
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
Chickpea Tuna filling
- 200 g cooked chickpeas from a can
- 1 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 Juice from 1/4 a lime
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 a cucumber
- 1 medium carrot
- 150 g spinach
- 150 g mushroom of choice
- sesame oil
- 6 cloves garlic
Make the rice
- Cook the sushi rice according to package instructions.
- Mix the cooked rice with sesame oil, salt and sesame seeds.
- Cut the tofu block into small pieces. Fry in oil, add the soy sauce and mix to combine.
- Mash the cooked chickpeas with a fork, then add the vegan mayonnaise, garlic powder, salt and pepper and lime juice. Mix well to combine.
- Stir fry each veggie separately in a pan for 1 minute with a pint of salt and sesame oil.
Assemble the Kimbab
- Gather the rice, nori, the fillings at closeby your Kimbab rolling station. Get a small bowl of water.
- On a plate or chopping board, add a sheet of nori (shiny side down). Add enough rice to cover ⅔ of the nori sheet.
- Add each filling on top of each other in the middle of the roll horizontally, the order of the filling is up to you. I made some rolls with the chickpea 'tuna' and veggie filling and a few with the tofu and veggie filling.
- Once the ingredients are layered, pull up the bottom edge of the nori and roll on top of the ingredients.
- Keep rolling until the end, slightly dampen the remaining nori part (that is not covered by the rice) to seal it.
- Use a sharp knife and cut the rolls into 1.5cm in width rounds. To sharpen my knife, I like to dip the knife into a bowl/cup of hot water. This also prevents the rice from sticking to the knife.
- Sprinkle with sesame seed and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Korean
Keywords: kimbab, sushi