This Vegan Teriyaki Chicken features king oyster mushroom cutlets wrapped in tofu skin and simmered with a sweet and savory teriyaki sauce.
- 4 king oyster mushrooms
- 1 sheet of yuba (tofu skin)
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- Oil for frying
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp water
Prepare the mushrooms:
- Cut the heads off the king oyster mushrooms. Use the heads for another recipe.
- Boil the king oyster mushrooms for 10 minutes, it should turn a darker color. Then transfer the mushrooms to an ice bath.
- Use a knife to cut around the king oyster mushroom in a spiral motion until you get a large cutlet. Repeat with the remaining mushrooms, you’ll have 4 cutlets.
- Combine all the ingredients to make the marinade ingredients.
- Rub the mushroom cutlets with the marinade on both sides and add a thin layer of cornstarch.
Prepare the yuba (tofu skin):
- If using dry yuba (tofu skin): rehydrate the tofu skin by letting it soak in hot water for about 5 minutes. Drain the water.
- If using fresh or frozen yuba, this step is not needed.
Make the vegan chicken:
- Wrap the mushroom cutlets in the tofu skin.
- Fry the tofu skin-wrapped mushroom in oil until golden brown on both sides.
- Make the Teriyaki sauce by combining soy sauce, sugar, mirin, and water in a bowl and mixing well.
- Drizzle the sauce on top of the mushrooms until it comes to a low simmer. Flip occasionally so both sides can absorb the sauce.
- When the vegan chicken gets a nice brown glaze and most the sauces are absorbed, remove from heat and transfer to a plate.
- Cut the vegan chicken into slices. Enjoy with rice and/or veggies of choice!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: frying, marinating
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: vegan chicken, vegan chicken teriyaki, mushroom chicken, king oyster mushroom, tofu skin