Vietnamese Red Sticky Rice (Xôi Gấc) is a type of sticky rice made from Gac fruit, typically served on Lunar New Year. It’s savory and sweet, making it perfect to enjoy with other savory side dishes.
- 200g glutinous rice
- 100g gac fruit seeds
- 2 tbsp rice wine
- 100ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Soak the glutinous rice in plenty of water for 4 hours or overnight. When you are ready to make the dish, drain and rinse the rice under cold water.
- If using fresh Gac fruit: Place the gac fruit seeds in a bowl, and add the rice wine. Use your hands, a spoon or chopsticks to stir and beat the gac fruit for 3-5 minutes, or until the red arils are extracted and expose a red paste.
If using frozen Gac paste: defrost the paste, then add to a bowl and mix with rice wine.
- Add the glutinous rice to the red paste. Stir well to combine thoroughly.
- Transfer the rice to a steamer basket and steam for 15-20 minutes. Then open the lid, add coconut milk, salt, and sugar, and mix together.
- Close the lid and steam for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Soaking time: 4 hours
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Steaming
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
Keywords: sticky rice, red paste, gac fruit, vegan, lunar new year