Vegan Bibimbap is a Korean mixed rice dish with vibrant stir-fried vegetables, saucy tofu and a spicy Gochujang dressing. It is a vibrant, nourishing bowl that is bursting with flavors!
- 1 cucumber
- 200 g spinach
- 100 g bean sprouts
- 1 carrot
- 200 g firm tofu
- 100 g mushroom of choice (I used enoki mushrooms)
- sesame oil
- minced garlic
- 2 tbsp gochujang
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp agave/maple syrup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 clove garlic
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Sesame seeds for garnish
Step 1: Prepare the vegetables
- Wash and blanch the spinach in boiling water for 2 minutes, then strain and put in ice water to stop cooking.
- Repeat this step for the bean sprouts.
- Add the spinach and bean sprouts in separate bowls.
- Season the spinach and bean sprouts with a pinch of salt, garlic, and toasted sesame oil.
- Thinly slice the cucumber, add salt, and let sit for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, drain the excess water. Season with salt, garlic powder, and sesame oil.
- Peel and thinly slice the carrot. Stir fry the carrot slices with a pinch of salt, minced garlic and sesame oil.
Step 2: Prepare the Tofu
- Pat dry the firm tofu with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Cut it into cubes or slices.
- Heat a drizzle of sesame oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the tofu and cook until golden brown and crispy on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Step 3: Prepare the Gochujang sauce
- In a small bowl, whisk together gochujang, rice vinegar, agave/maple syrup, soy sauce, minced garlic, and sesame oil until well combined. Adjust the seasonings to taste.
Step 4: Assemble the Vegan Bibimbap bowl
- Divide the cooked rice into serving bowls.
- Arrange the spinach, bean sprouts, cucumber, carrot, and tofu on top of the rice in separate sections.
- Drizzle the sauce on top of the bowl.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top for garnish.
- Serve the Vegan Bibimbap immediately, either as is or mix everything together before eating to combine the flavors.
Feel free to swap the ingredients with all the ingredients you might have: zucchini, mushroom, bok choy, or bell peppers work great here!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stovetop, Mixing
- Cuisine: Korean
Keywords: bibimbap, comfort food, Korean recipes, mixed rice, tofu bibimbap, vegan