This Zaru Soba recipe features cold soba noodles dipped in a flavorful vegan kombu dipping sauce. It only takes 10 minutes to make and is perfect for hot summer days when it's too hot to cook!
- 2 servings soba noodles (buckwheat noodles)
Dipping Sauce (Tsuyu)
- 250 ml water (~ 1 cup)
- 1 piece kombu
- 2 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 50 ml soy sauce (~1/5 cup)
- 50 ml mirin (~1/5 cup)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 stalks green onions (thinly slice)
- 1/2 nori sheet
- sesame seeds
- ice cubes (as much ice as you want)
Make the dipping sauce (Tsuyu)
- On a pot, add water, shiitake mushroom and kombu. Bring to a boil, then let it steep for 5-10 mins. The more you steep it, the more flavorful it become.
- Remove the kombu and mushroom from the broth, and turn off the heat. Add soy sauce, mirin and the optional sugar. Mix well then pour into a jar and set aside to chill.
Cook the Soba noodles
- Cook the Soba noodles according to package instructions.
- Drain and rinse under cold water multiple times until the water runs clear. This step helps prevent the noodles from overcooking and sticking to each other.
Assemble the Zaru Soba
- Cut the nori sheet into thin pieces. Thinly slice the green part of the green onions.
- Add the chopped green onions, shredded nori and sesame seeds on top of the soba noodles.
- In a bowl, pour in the sauce. Add the chopped green onions, ice to the dipping sauce.
- Enjoy the Zaru Soba by taking a strand of noodles with your chopsticks and dipping it in the sauce.
You can make the sauce ahead of time, then assemble the Zaru Soba when it's time to make the meal.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: 10-minute meal, noodles, soba noodles, summer meal