Vegan Vietnamese Grilled Pork Noodles Bowl (Bún chả chay) originates from Hanoi and is very popular in Northern Vietnamese cities. It’s commonly served at street vendors as a lunch or dinner option. Fresh, light, herbaceous yet decadent and nourishing!
As I am from Hanoi myself, I decided to make a plant-based version of this dish that is so close to my heart. For this recipe, I am collaborating with Ohmungood – a Swedish mung bean-based food product. I love their products because they are simple to make, versatile and made from 100% natural ingredients (mung beans, beetroot and spices). It’s a great choice for both health, the environment, and the animals!
Their mung bean-based bits product is a great shortcut to the traditional meatballs used in Bún chả. I will soon create a homemade version of these meatballs as well. For now, enjoy the recipe, yummy pictures and do not forget to leave a review or share your creation and tag me on IG (@veggieanh). Thank you so much for supporting my work!
Vegan Vietnamese Grilled ‘Pork’ Noodles Bowl (Bún chả chay)
- 1 pack Ohmungood's Mung bean bits sub with tofu/other plant-based meatballs
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 servings vermicelli rice noodles
- 1 cucumber
- 1 medium carrot
- bean sprouts optional
- coriander sub with other herbs of choice (mint, perilla leaves,..)
'Nuoc mam' Fish sauce mix
- 2 tbsp vegan fish sauce sub with soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar or sweetener of choice
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- Juice from ¼ a lime
- 4 tbsp hot/warm water
- minced garlic and chili I used 3 cloves of garlic and 1 Thai chili pepper
- Fry the Ohmungood bits in oil until all sides are golden brown. Set aside.
- Boil the vermicelli noodles according to package instructions, drain and rinse under cold water to stop cooking.
- Chop the lettuce and cucumber into bite-sized pieces. Thinly slice the carrot. Wash the herbs and bean sprouts.
- Make the nuoc mam sauce using the listed ingredients above.
- Assemble the noodles bowl: cooked noodles, Mung bits, lettuce, cucumber, carrot, herbs and bean spouts. Drizzle the sauce on top and enjoy!