Vegan Vietnamese Bò Kho (Beef Stew) is a comforting and satisfying stew with a flavorful broth. It is served with fresh herbs and a crispy baguette that will keep you coming back for more. In this recipe, the jackfruit makes a wonderful plant-based alternative to beef. It has a tender, pull-apart texture that just melts in your mouth.
Vegan Bò Kho
Bò Kho is a Vietnamese beef stew dish with meaty, tender beef slices and a flavorful broth. Memories of my childhood include the meaty, tender beef stew, umami broth and crispy baguette slices that are dipped in the flavorful broth. Yum yum, I’m drooling!
When recreating a plant-based version of Bò Kho, I saw many creators use TVP or soy chunks to make the beef. While these are all a good ideas, I was looking for a soy-free alternative to beef and got the idea to use young jackfruit. Young jackfruit is a plant-based ingredient that has a wonderful texture similar to beef – tender, pull-apart. Whereas young jackfruit has a mildly sour taste, boiling or stir-frying in oil or water can help soften the jackfruit’s taste. This also allows it to absorb more flavors.
Fortunately, this idea becomes a success and I loved the taste of this vegan Bò Kho so so much! The jackfruit becomes so soft and tender after making the stew, with a herby, umami flavors of the broth and match perfectly with the crispy baguette slices. I am using a Bo Kho seasoning package which makes the process much easier and quicker (seen in the above picture).
If you have a chance to try it, please leave me a review or tag me on my IG (@veggieanh). That would help me greatly, thank you for supporting me!
Vegan Bo Kho – Vietnamese Beef Stew
- 2 cans young jackfruit
- 1 tbsp cooking oil or sub with water if you are oil-free
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 cubes bo kho seasoning ~ 2.5 tbsp
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 2 large carrots
- 4-5 cremini mushroom or sub with portabello mushroom
- 200 ml coconut water
- salt or mushroom seasoning season to taste
- 1 tsp five-spice powder
- 1 French baguette or 2-3 Vietnamese baguette
- Thai basil
- Chili slices and lime wedges
- Drain and rinse 2 cans of jackfruit. Use a paper towel to absorb all the excess moisture.
- In a pan or pot, brown the jackfruit in the oil to soften and neutralize its sour taste, about 10 minutes. Add more water to deglaze the pan.
- Remove from heat, marinade the jackfruit in a bowl with dark soy sauce and 1 cube of Vietnamese bo kho seasoning (mixed with 2 tbsp water). Marinade for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the aromatics: mince the shallot, garlic and lemongrass. Wash and chop the vegetables into thick chunks: about 2 cm for the carrots and cut the mushroom into quarter.
- Back to the pot: add oil, stir fry the minced aromatics for about 5 minutes, then add the marinated jackfruit, vegetables. Mix well to combine.
- Add the coconut water and add enough boiling water to cover everything. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy the jackfruit 'beef' stew with the optional baguette slices, cilantro, Thai basil, lime wedges and chili slices.