Vibrant, heavenly Vegan Summer Rolls (also known as Vietnamese fresh spring rolls or rice paper rolls) paired with a bomb peanut sauce dipping sauce that will keep you coming back for more!
Vegan Summer Rolls (Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls
These Vegan Summer Rolls, inspired by Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls are my favorite things to make on warm summer days. These spring rolls are:
- Easy to make
- Yummy, filling, and delicious
- Fresh and healthy
- Suitable for social and outdoor gatherings: spring rolls are the perfect social food. You talk and spend time with other people while making them together. I like to invite friends over and divide task for each person and roll them together while chatting.
- Versatile and customizable: you can swap the recommended ingredients with what you have on hand.
- Travel-friendly: you can bring these vegan summer rolls to work, on outdoor trips, or as a lunch option on your trips.
Ingredients and Substitutions:
These are my favorite ingredients in my vegan summer rolls:
- Rice paper sheets
- Vegetables: I love using a combination of raw and fresh veggies like cucumber, bell pepper, carrot, and avocado. These veggies add freshness and crunchiness
- Noodles: I use vermicelli rice noodles
- Fruits: I really like adding mango for sweetness to this recipe.
- Herbs: mint and coriander work perfectly here
- Plant protein: I use tofu, but you can also use edamame beans or roasted chickpeas
Peanut Hoisin sauce
The following ingredients make a killer peanut sauce that makes everything taste good:
- Peanut butter: I like to use some crunchy natural peanut butter for the nutty, creamy taste, but you can also use smooth peanut butter
- Soy sauce: adds umami, savory taste
- Garlic: adds a garlicky taste
- Warm water: to thin out the sauce to your liking
- Lime juice: adds tangy taste
- Sugar: adds sweetness, alternatively you can use maple syrup
With the combination of all these flavors, the sauce brings a lot of flavors and is perfectly complementary with these Vegan Summer Rolls. The peanut sauce also goes well with Spicy Peanut Noodles or as a dressing for Noodle salad!
How to make the Vegan Summer Rolls
Prepare the ingredients:
Slice the carrot, bell peppers, cucumber, and mango into thin thin matchsticks.
Red bell pepper slices
Peel and chop the mango
Cut the ripe avocado in halves, then use the knife to cut off the ends. Peel the skin of the avocado using your hand. Then cut the avocado into thin slices.
Set the vegetables aside.
To make the fried tofu: Cut the tofu into thin slices, then fry the tofu slices in oil until golden brown on both sides.
Thinly slice the fried tofu into strips.
Put the vermicelli rice noodles in a bowl and pour hot water on top. Let soak for 8 minutes then rinse and drain.
Make the sauce:
Combine the sauce ingredients (peanut butter, sugar, soy sauce, water, and lime juice) in a bowl and mix together with a spoon. Microwave the bowl for 1 minute and mix until well incorporated
Assemble the thinly sliced vegetables, tofu, rice papers, and cooked rice noodles in your workstation. Prepare a bowl of warm water.
Roll the Vegan Summer Rolls:
There are multiple ways to roll spring rolls, I'd like to say that as long as you can close them, they will work. This is how I like to roll mine 😀
- Moisturize the rice paper by slightly brushing the water on the rice paper. The rice paper will become more moist over time.
- Add all the fillings on one edge of the summer rolls.
- Fold the rolls forward once, then tug in the sides
- Keep rolling until they close. Make sure to make the roll as tight as possible.
It might take a few tries but will be really easy and fun once you get the hang of it.
How to serve the Vegan Summer Rolls
You can serve these vegan Summer Rolls as a main dish or appetizer for your dinner. Serve them with the flavor-packed peanut dipping sauce and enjoy fresh!
If you have tried my recipe, please let me know what you think by leaving me a review on this page or tagging me on Instagram @veggieanh. I would love to see your creations!