Why is this recipe so popular?
Emily Mariko wrecked the Internet when she posted her salmon rice bowl recipe on TikTok. So many people joined in the trend and recreated the recipe with their own twist. Naturally, I was super curious about this food trend. Therefore, after seeing the recipe on my TikTok For You Page, I decided to recreate it using a plant-based ingredient – tofu in place of salmon.
The reason the Salmon Rice Bowl was so popular was that it uses leftover ingredients to create an easy and yummy meal. The ice cube and seaweed hack were also what makes it so interesting. The combination of sushi rice, sriracha, mayonnaise and seaweed also reminds me of a deconstructed sushi bowl, while being less time-consuming and easier to make. Additionally, as Emily Mariko is part Japanese, she was showcasing a dish that was close to her heart, which draws people in. All in all, all these reasons make the recipe irresistible to many. This recipe was my first one to go viral on @veggieanh Instagram and helped me gain many followers. This dish signifies an important milestone for me!
Tofu as a plant-based alternative for the “Salmon” Rice Bowl (TikTok trend)
The plant-based substitution of the salmon in this recipe is the powerful flavor absorber – tofu. In this recipe, I marinade tofu in a teriyaki sauce, using soy sauce, sugar, rice vinegar and some additional ingredients. This marinade makes the tofu a wonderful competitor to salmon!
If you tried my version of Tofu ‘Salmon’ Rice Bowl, please leave me a review on this blog post or tag me on IG (@veggieanh). I would love to see your creations!
Tofu ‘Salmon’ Rice Bowl
- 400 g firm or extra firm tofu
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar or sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 nori sheet
- 2 servings cooked rice jasmine or sushi rice works here
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cucumber
- 1-2 nori sheet
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- sesame seeds
Make the tofu 'salmon'
- Cut the tofu block into quarter. Score the tofu using two chopsticks so that the marinade is absored better.
- Season the tofu with the marinade ingredients. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Fry the tofu pieces with some oil, let them sit and get browned before flipping.
- When both sides are golden, pour in the remaining marinade and use a spoon to pour the marinade on the tofu.
- When most of the sauce is evaporated, remove the tofu from the heat.
Assemble the Rice Bowl
- Add the tofu to the plate. Mash finely with a fork, then put in the cooked rice.
- Mix the rice and tofu together, then drizzle on top sriracha and mayo. Mix well.
- Top with the avocado, cucumber, kimchi, sesame seeds and nori sheet. Enjoy by putting the ingredients on the nori like a sushi!